Sign in to follow this  
jonpatch

SBuilder 205 Hi Res photo help

Guest ScottR

I am trying to get the high resolution photo option to work in SBuilder 2.05 but the scenery doesn't show up in FS9.I am working with a 4500 x 4500p bitmap at 2.4m/pixel. SBuilder makes a BGL of size 197kB named *_PHOTO.BGL and 22 bitmaps each 1.0MB in size, 512x512p and 32bit format and named like 12133011013202_0512_Su.bmp. I have a project folder with "scenery" folder and "texture" folder. I put the bitmaps in the texture folder and the bgl in the scenery folder and ativate in FS9. If I fly to where the photo scenery should be, the program "stutters" a little and I see one or two vertical "tears" on the screen, but no sign of the scenery.Any help appreciated.Scott

Guest Horst

Hello,the bmps have to be in the FS/scenery/world/texture folder.When you want to make agn files, take care, they are vertically flipped.RegardsHorst

As Horst says - put texture in world/texture folder. BGL can be anywhere. Same goes for normal lo-res stuff. I was able to get it to "work" but had many large spikes and did not try anymore. I found that the size of the BMPs would make it impractical to do significant areas. Sections around the airport do seem reasonable and it may be worth trying again. Of course, lots of variables with transcription of extents and file placements, etc so that a mistake, and its cause, is not always an easy fix. It probably works but no one has come forward with photos as far as I know??Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest ScottR

Thanks for the replies. The SBuilder instructions say "In the case of VTP photo scenery the bitmaps that were created in ../SBuilder/Tools/Work/ are copied to .../Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator/Scenery/World/Texture. If these bitmaps are not copied here and the BGL that refers to them is active, FS2004 will crash.In the case of high resolution photo scenery, the bitmaps are copied to the local texture folder (the sister folder of the main BGL folder)."I did try putting the textures in the Scenery/World/Texture folder but got the same result.Oh well, perhaps someone else may get it to work.Scott

Hi Scott,Make sure that you have the corresponding BGLs located in the sister scenery folder to the texture folder you are using.Did you try the SBuilder forum at http://www.ptsim.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=18 ? Luis would be happy to help you there.If you use Lars and Ken's AGenT autogen annotation program it has a built in function that flips the bitmaps. See http://my.chillstation.de/agent/Jon

Guest mtom

Hi. Can some give a file name for Lars and Ken's AGenT autogen annotation program. Can't seem to find it anyware - Avsim or the Agent site.Cheers,Matthew.

I just asked the same question on their forum site.....Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Scott,Upon reflecting upon my brief experience the couple of vertical stripes" may have been your scenery. I never explored beyond one try but the problem may be the mesh. Perhaps the first trick (other may follow) is to get it working properly in FS2004 first and then "lat the textures atop it. Just a possible path...Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Guest ScottR

Thanks guys,Horst, the thread you identified in the PTsim forum seems to have the answer. The problem described is exactly what I experienced. It looks like I need to make a terrain mesh map first then the hi-res photo map. I will give it a try as soon as I get a chance.Scott

Hello Matthew,Please go to the Files forum and click on "Links" at the top of the forum.Best regards.Luis

Guest mtom

Got it!Thanks for that fellas.Cheers,Matthew.

Guest ScottR

Hi,I managed to get the hi-res 2.4m/p photos to show by putting a LWM flatten poly under them first. The question now is, is there any way to generate "tilted" LWM3 polys that just follow the existing mesh? I don't have a mesh file for the area in question so can't generate the mesh bitmap that Sbuilder needs.Scott

Scott, try placing an LWM at an altitude of -9999 metres. That works with land and water masks to allow the mask to be mesh-clinging, and who knows maybe that works with hi-res photos.Jon