Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

toning down the bloom

After 4 days of V2.3, I'm rather satisfied,  flying the Cherokee or P51 all over my OrbX lands . So let the nitpicking begins :P  !

Can the bloom be toned down without giving up HDR ? I find it overdone and sometimes a nuisance (reflection on a gauge). Might be my 780TI, I dunno. Anyway is there a tutorial somewhere. I read that great post about reducing the transition time but it doesn't explain whether you can tune the HDR and how ? Is there a tutorial somewhere explaning the parameters and their values ?

Thanks !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'd love to figure this out as well... Glass cockpits look terrible with the blooming HDR feature.

I also want to make the dark end if the spectrum lighter.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Step 1. Go to ShadersHLSL/PostProcess/HDR.hlsl.

Step 2. Locate these lines:

static const float BloomThreshold = 03.25f;
static const float BloomMagnitude = 03.75f;
Step 3. Increase those values a bit. Decreasing them will enhance the bloom.

Step 4. Delete the shaders and launch Prepar3D.

Step 5. Enjoy!

Step 4. Delete the shaders and launch Prepar3D.

Step 5. Enjoy!

Awesome post, thanks for your help!

Awesome I was about to ask how to increase the bloom but you answered that for me :)

Step 5. Enjoy!

Thanks for this. I will try in later, as I too find the bloom can be OTT, especially when looking into an area of dark for a while, where the bloom seems to ramp up.

Awesome I was about to ask how to increase the bloom but you answered that for me :)

I was also looking to further increase the bloom, and increasing those values surprisingly eliminated the effect for me, so I found that you have to decrease them to enhance the bloom.

I'll play more with that shader file to see if the HDR can be tweaked further, it has lots of values though.

Thank you CB will look into it and report :)

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Adding 1 to those values has reduced the bloom to nicer levels. I have been playing with some of the other values, but I don't know what I'm doing, so its trial and error.

Lowering the value below.

// result has 1/2.2 baked in
    return saturate( pow(color, 2.2f) );  < to something lower, makes everying brigher, which might be useful... however as I said I don't know what is going on... make a back-up and keep it safe.

If anyone finds a way to saturate the colours a little more, then please post... I would love a touch more colour, without the need to alter monitor settings, or using another app.

Step 1. Go to ShadersHLSL/PostProcess/HDR.hlsl. Step 2. Locate these lines:

Step 3. Increase those values a bit. Decreasing them will enhance the bloom.Step 4. Delete the shaders and launch Prepar3D. Step 5. Enjoy!

excellent tip. Thank you very much for providing this information. I will have to give this a try.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Hm, all these very interesting questions make you wonder why LM didn't add options for all this in P3D. Would have been great. Although, we of course don't know how all these settings relate to each other: could well be that changing one setting disturbs a certain balance and may hurt performance. Not something I would expect with changing the intensity of bloom, but I like to be careful with the current setup I have which is performing very well.

BTW I like HDR as it is: to me it's perfect (well, with the transition tweak, that is!!!). So it's nice to know that if LM changes something in the future I can change it back again. ^_^

I went down to 2.00 with both of these and the brightness and glow is much lower. The airport lighting reflection on buildings and the tarmac was way to bright. I may fiddle a little more but for now good enough. What is interesting is that I can see general pole lighting at airports that are 10 miles away and they stand out like a sore thumb. This is ORBX PNW so not sure if that has something to do with it. When you fly towards the bright lights they begin to tone down and then within a a couple of miles from the airport, they blend in with the rest of the general lighting. I have no idea. I am not sure if this has anything to do with HDR or bloom. 

If I post a picture, do you have to have a url, or can you upload to do this?

Bob