Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

I stumbled across something very cool.

Hey GuysI went ahead and downloaded the XP10 demo today to try it out and see how it would do on my rig, (Specs in Sig). And like most people I was pretty crestfallen with it's looks and performance, but I started tweaking some stuff around, first with the rendering options and then going into driver optimizations, and my whole experience changed.I have an SLI setup, which as I recall Ben Supnik said would NOT be helpful for Xplane, BUT SLI can also be used on non-SLI applications to increase visual fidelity in regards to AA and AF.Basically you have to set the driver to do "SLI antialiasing", meaning the second card is just assisting with AA and AF, I was able to put my settings really high(I am not done experimenting, it's 2 AM here and I have work tomorrow), but I am very pleased with the results thus far.So here's some shots of what I did and what I got.1) You have to change the Nvidia driver profile, you can do that in Inspector, but it's actually a lot easier and more user friendly in the Nvidia Control Panel:I found that it worked best when I chose ENHANCE the application setting, then I went to town with 16xQ AA and 2x transparancy AA, and 16x AF2) Here are my rendering settings, I was able to increase pretty much all of them by two notches, It doesn't seem to be able to force the changes with the HDR settings yet (I have to experiment more, but maybe that's something the Laminar guys or Nvidia could look into)3) And finally the screenies, here's the default C172 at KSEA with real world weather (weather snapshot taken at about 1 AM on 11/28)Just loaded up on the runway: 38 fps (What's weird is that I set my Vsync for 30 fps)Climbing out, looking over the airport 31 fpsTurning Right, 39 fpsThe sim looks, great and is smooth as silk. These pics are not really doing it justice as I had to convert and shrink them for the Avsim file size requirement.Please bear in mind that even with an overclocked GTX 580 I was getting 10 - 14 fps at KSEA with MUCH worse image quality and MUCH lower settings when I first booted up the sim and used the in-game rendering settings.Now if I could get TrackIR working(isn't that an option the in Sim, I seem to recall having it in XP9?) and the 3d vision, I would be really happy.

I found track IR under joystick setup and it was the last tab to the right if I recall correctly. I have not figured out how to make tir work by default every time I get in to a new aircraft though. I need to choose 3d mosue look every single time..

@PingPong: Try with HDR on if you have that good performance. All the lights and atmospheric rendering are based on this setting. You will have to switch of anti-aliasing in the right upper corner of the rendering settings (and re-start the sim) and use one of the AA-settings that pop up when you turn on HDR.

I like this, I want to upgrade my card might have to get the 590 after seeing this!Ahh, just noticed you have 2-580's in SLI.Guess I'll hold off for a bit, the new Nvidia cards are due out in March/April.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

The 590 should work fine, it's just two 580s on one card. I am going to do some more experimenting when I get home, I couldn't get the driver to force an AA level with the HDR enabled, but I didn't have too much time to experiment last night, I really want to get the HDR working at this level of performance.

The GTX 590 is only 1.5GB, you'll be better off with one GTX 580 3GB (or 2 in SLI if you have the money) since XP-10 will be RAM hungry if run with eyes candy to the max.

The GTX 590 is 1.5 GB per GPU so 3 GB total, which is what I have.An aside, I noticed there's always a discrepancy between what Xplane says it's vram usage will be and what MSI afterburner says I am using. Xplane tends to under-estimate by quite a bit, so I try to keep my Vram use below 1 GB.I think now that I am setting up everything in the driver, Xplane has no way to know how much VRAM is will be using.

I have a couple of choices anyway. Gonna wait for my disks, then decide.Let us know if you get the HDR to work with the enforce.Nice to see you on XPlane forums Alan!

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV