Sign in to follow this  
corinoco

Rutan Boomerang by Adrian Esdaile - Doesn't load

Guest Larry_KMSO

Has anyone else experienced "failure to load" of the new Rutan Boomberang uploaded this morning by Adrian?I get the beginnings of the cockpit panel including the blank "Power Book" and radio stack. However, the windows cursor stays as an hour glass and I hear a stunted "beep" sound periodically from the PC's sound system. After several minutes of waiting, I am forced to shut down FS9 through CtrlAltDel. Other aircraft in FS9 load OK. I thought I would see if I am the only one with this problem before I bother Adrian.Thanks,Larry

Don't worry - this seems to be a common problem!There seems to be a clash with a couple of the gauges, and there are three steps to fixing things. Some people have had success after just step one, so I suspect there are conflicts with addons that I don't have, thus I haven't been able to test.Firstly, unpack the Rutan_Boomerang.cab file in your Gauges folder. It should unpack to a folder called Rutan_Bommerang. This seems to solve a lot of the problems for most people.Step two is to delete the file boomerang_sounds.gau. This will remove the 'Mac sounds' from the panel, but I think that XML sound gauge may conflict with an older fssound.dll file that some people may still use.The third step is to delete the Mac.XML and Mac_logic.XML gauges from the Rutan_Boomerang folder. This will disable the Mac startup graphics, but I think it should solve most issues.I made those gauges last, and they were a bit experimental (hey, it's an Experimental plane) and they worked OK on my system, but seem to bork some other systems.I think there may be a Boomerang V1.1 soon... it might take me a few weeks, this is always a busy time of year. Not to mention 42C heat - I don't like to drip sweat on my keyboard!Cheers,

Guest Larry_KMSO

Hello Adrian,I performed the three steps you suggested in sequence.1. Unpacked Rutan_Boomerang.cab (1897 KB) to Rutan_Boomerang using WinZip's "Use Folder Names" option. That created the Rutan_Boomerang file folder. My folder shows that there are 635 files and two folders in it with disk size of hte folder being 17,522,688. But the aircraft still didn't load.2. Found the Boomerang_Sound.gau file in the D:FS2004Gauges folder and renamed it Boomerang_Sound.gau.bak Aircraft still didn't load but the "beep" sound mentioned before was gone.3. I didn't find the exact file names you mentioned in step three ie Mac.XML and Mac_logic.XML but I did find MacOSX.xml and MacOSX_Logic.XML. I assumed these were the files so I renamed them with an extension of .bak. Alas, still the aircraft hangs during load giving me the hour glass cursor.If you see anything I did wrong, let me know. In the mean time, I'll look around for other threads about this. Sounds like it's something simple.Thanks again for your response and for your aircraft!Larry

Guest Larry_KMSO

Adrian,Looks like a cockpit error on my part somewhere here!After failing to get the PowerMac to "light up", I decided to give a general Enginer Start with Ctrl+E. That fired up the engines.So I quit FS9 and put back the Mac*.xml files (from Mac*.xml.bak)After I selected the "not" customized 202, the Mac is filled with gauges. Amazing display!So I don't yet know what I did to "right" my "wrong". If I discover anything further, I'll report back. Right now, I have the aircraft running having performed steps 1 and step 2. Step 3 didn't seem to be necessary.Now for a quick flight!!Larry

Guest Larry_KMSO

Gracious sakes! Looks like I didn't power up (switch on) the MacIntosh PowerBook lap top! (For benefit of others, that's the right button on the lower right edge of the PowerBook G4 simulation. This switch is in line with the partially hidden row of switches.)No wonder I'm having such a fight with Myst IV Revelation!Larry

Thanks for your replies.I think my coding for the Mac panel may not like 'cold cockpit' startups. I use a hot startup, as on lots of other planes I am too impatient to try to find out how to start them! (Hence my Autostart switch on the Aux panel)I found some problems last night with the battery switch interfering with the panel, so I think that points the finger at my code not liking a 'cold' sim.Anyway, I am glad you got it working.Good flying!Cheers,

Just a quick update:I think I have found an offending line in the aircraft.cfg file for the Boomerang. The radios section should look like this:[Radios]// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slopeAudio.1=1 Com.1=1, 0Com.2=1, 0Nav.1=1, 0, 1Nav.2=1, 0, 0Adf.1=1Transponder.1=1 Marker.1=1 That's what I get for deciding the upload version should be neat, tidy, and based on the templates that come with FS2004 - they used a different radio setup to mine, and that was conflicting with the SL30 gauge.This may well be the root cause of the wierd problems some people have been having.Cheers,

Guest Larry_KMSO

Adrian,Thanks for the Radios section update for the aircraft.cfg I manually made the changes you posted and now I can change the frequency on the SL30. I am casting about trying to find your .pdf noted "Instructions for the radio panels are included in the Boomerang

Yes, I did forget the pdfs!They are available in the aircraft that I got the gauges from, the Lake Renegade. The link for this plane is: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=46161It is well worth downloading for the fantastic cockpit that partly inspired me to put the effort into a decent cockpit.The Renegade is also a fun plane to fly, perfect for summer cruising in the Whitsunday Islands!Cheers,