Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

FSUIPC and NGX = Smooth as Butter - Well Almost!

Hi GavinThis may or may not be of use to you but I will tell you how I have my Saitek throttles set up for reverse thrust. When the throttles are pulled back,they come to a detent which is idle. Pulled further back activates a reverse feature in the Saitek set up. I have assigned F2 ("Throttle..Decrese Quickly" in FSX) to one of the throttles reversers in the Saitek profile that I have set up and pulling the throttles past this point activates reverse thrust. As soon as you push the throttles back into the idle position they are canceled and the throttles return to idle. So may be you can just press F2 if you don't have this "detent" feature in your joystick and as soon as you move tour throttle forward a little it should cancel the reverse thrust.Hope this is some help to you.Dennis
+1 I have been doing this since I first purchased my Saitek setup. It isn't realistic, but it is a close as you can get.

I have always assigned my AXIS in FSX and none in FSUIPC cause it was recommended not to. On top of that with all the options in FSUIPC it looked a little intimidating. Last night I decided to play around with it and see for myself how it worked with the NGX. I also flew a flight from VTBS (Suvarnabhumi ) to VRMM (Male Atolls) to test it out from gate to gate. My findings? The NGX never handled so well before. It is a complete joy to hand fly at any stage of the flight. FSUIPC is way beyond FSX in terms of smoothness and there really is no comparison. ...
Paul, thank you for your suggestion/guidance regarding using FSUIPC. I also have found that "FSUIPC is way beyond FSX in terms of smoothness and there really is no comparison". I can actually hand fly the NGX very well now where as before it was extremely difficult and frustrating. I would encourage everyone who can to consider try this because it really makes flying an order of magnitude better/enjoyable (at least for me). Thanks again Paul!!

Hey Paul!You recognize that it takes a few seconds to get the reversers unlocked and deployed on the real airplane?There is nothing instantaneous about them, so the challenge of landing in small airports is mitigated somewhat by setting the appropriate autobrake setting. The autobrake will get the airplane decelerating on schedule, and will slightly reduce the brake pressure as you bring in the reversers.So if it is taking you a few seconds to get them working- that is actually realistic... Just thought you might like to know.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for the reply RSR, I did know that it takes a little while for the Reversers to deploy. The Part I was talking about Kicking in right away was. I meant I need to know they are activating properly right away. Read below for a more detailed explanation and some Laughs at the end.The Delay I am talking about is related to issues with FSUIPC and my Hardware. When you assign the Thrust Reversers to the X52 Pro and pull the throttles back to the ident you have to wait a second or two and then pull the rest of the way back to the backstop. If you do not do this precisely sometimes the thrust reversers will not deploy (like if you pulled back too far) then you gotta push it up to the ident again wait another second or two and then pull it back to the backstop. In this scenerio it would be an eternity on a short runway and the difference between going in the water at SBRJ. Just seems like less hassle and more reliable to set the Thrust Reversers to my trigger although I would prefer to do it on my throttle.If anyone's been able to make some adjustments to FSUIPC settings and get the thrust reversers to work reliably and consistently with the X52 Pro Throttle feel free to chime in. Would love to use it this way instead of the trigger but my 2 attempts so far have ended with me shooting off the end of the runway and going in the water twice when the reversers failed to deploy because I was anxious and pulled the throttle past the ident lol. Not to mention how embarressing it was having a bunch of GOL 737 pilots at the gate at the time. They were probably snickering and laughing their butts off as they saw me go sailing off the end with a big Splash. unsure.pngsad.pngThe ideal setup would be to have a 737 throttle with the thrust reverser handles which would make all this a moot point then. But they are Expensive! While I am on that I have a question. From some of the amateur videos I have seen its hard to tell from the camera angle from behind the pilots.But my question is when the pilot in a real aircraft pulls the throttles levers back to idle, do they stay there? What I mean is they pull the throttles back to idle then pull the thrust reverser handles on top of the throttles back towards them and this engages the thrust reversers? Are the Reverser Handles like a mini reverse thrust throttle that is controllable or is it just pull back all the way to engage and full reverse? If someone could explain this would love to know the answer cause I have always been curious how it actually works.

Thanks for the reply RSR, I did know that it takes a little while for the Reversers to deploy. The Part I was talking about Kicking in right away was. I meant I need to know they are activating properly right away. Read below for a more detailed explanation and some Laughs at the end.The Delay I am talking about is related to issues with FSUIPC and my Hardware. When you assign the Thrust Reversers to the X52 Pro and pull the throttles back to the ident you have to wait a second or two and then pull the rest of the way back to the backstop. If you do not do this precisely sometimes the thrust reversers will not deploy (like if you pulled back too far) then you gotta push it up to the ident again wait another second or two and then pull it back to the backstop. In this scenerio it would be an eternity on a short runway and the difference between going in the water at SBRJ. Just seems like less hassle and more reliable to set the Thrust Reversers to my trigger although I would prefer to do it on my throttle.If anyone's been able to make some adjustments to FSUIPC settings and get the thrust reversers to work reliably and consistently with the X52 Pro Throttle feel free to chime in. Would love to use it this way instead of the trigger but my 2 attemps so far have ended with me shooting off the end of the runway and going in the water twice when the reversers failed to deploy because I was anxious and pulled the throttle past the ident lol. Not to mention how embarressing it was having a bunch of GOL 737 pilots at the gate at the time. They were probably snickering and laughing their butts off as they saw me go sailing off the end with a big Splash. unsure.pngsad.pngThe ideal setup would be to have a 737 throttle with the thrust reverser handles which would make all this a moot point then. But they are Expensive! While I am on that I have a question. From some of the amateur videos I have seen its hard to tell from the camera angle from behind the pilots.But my question is when the pilot in a real aircraft pulls the throttles levers back to idle, do they stay there? What I mean is they pull the throttles back to idle then pull the thrust reverser handles on top of the throttles back towards them and this engages the thrust reversers? Are the Reverser Handles like a mini reverse thrust throttle that is controllable or is it just pull back all the way to engage and full reverse? If someone could explain this would love to know the answer cause I have always been curious how it actually works.
Hi UAL, I have used my x52pro throttle for both the throttle and the reverse ever since I started flying the PMDG 747. I transferred that to the NGX with no flaws whatsoever. One thing to note, though, is that whereas with the 744, you could just pull the lever all the way to the reverse, and it would work, this is not the case in the NGX due to the fact that the NGX is more complex, and if I understand correctly, the reverse takes a couple of seconds to engage in real life. All you need do is pull the lever to the idle detente, and lean towards the reverse slightly until you hear the click that starts opening the engine whatever (you'd see the reverse levers move a little in the VC if you were looking at them, which you wouldn't be doing, I know, which is why you listen to the 'click' sound). Once you hear the click sound (it happens quicker than most people think), you can pull all the way. Works for me every time. You also have to make sure you have enough deadzone btw the idle and the reverse. Here is a link to where I explained my settings. They're on post #22:http://forum.avsim.n...__fromsearch__1Leave a feedback.Edit: I just realized that it was you I explained this to before. So this is the deal, just wait for the 'click' sound, and pull all the way. 105% of the time, it works for me. Now concerning the question of how the real thing works, take a look at this video. That's how the real thing works.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3jFdta5NL4

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Edit: I just realized that it was you I explained this to before. So this is the deal, just wait for the 'click' sound, and pull all the way. 105% of the time, it works for me. Now concerning the question of how the real thing works, take a look at this video. That's how the real thing works.
Okay as far as the clicking sound I will have to go by feel cause I am Deaf and would not hear it anyway. lol. The video explains a lot. I guess its a full reverse thrust deal and is not controllable? I will give this another shot tonight. One of the other reasons I gave up on this last time was cause it was interfering with the NGX Auto-Throttle. But the last 2 times I also had my axis assigned in FSX at same time so it mighta been interfering. Will let ya know how it goes on the third attempt. Maybe it will work since i have everything assigned in FSUIPC now and no Axis assigned in FSX anymore.

Hey Paul!You recognize that it takes a few seconds to get the reversers unlocked and deployed on the real airplane?There is nothing instantaneous about them, so the challenge of landing in small airports is mitigated somewhat by setting the appropriate autobrake setting. The autobrake will get the airplane decelerating on schedule, and will slightly reduce the brake pressure as you bring in the reversers.So if it is taking you a few seconds to get them working- that is actually realistic... Just thought you might like to know.
Thanks for the extra info here Robert, But I was wondering is it ok to start retracting the reversers even a few seconds before nose wheel touch the ground ? I see southwest always land and reverse gets engaged before the nose wheel touches ? Evan Banalian.

In alot of jets you can crack them to to reverse idle. Speeds up availability after the nose touches. Works great in the G5. The nose have a tendacy to drop after touch down and spoiler deployment. The nose will fall rapidly and you have to apply back pressure to keep the nose wheel from slamming. Going to reverse idle after touch down offsets this issue and makes for a smoother nose wheel contact.