Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Out of Memory Error

Been having an out of memory issues when on final to land in FSX. I fly in ORBX scenery at high, but still conservative (realistic) settings with default Boeing 737 so I was a bit puzzled. I have 16GB RAM, i72700K CPU, NVIDIA GTX 580 and fast SSD drives. I've made the normal Windows 7 64 bit tweaks (HighMemFix, UIAutomationCore.dll). After some searching I found the bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 tweak and applied it, although some claim this is only for the 32 bit versions of Windows Vista and 7. After that I decided to do a stresstest of FSX and flew in the same area (Ketchikan) that I got the OOM error with all sliders at maximum, bloom and lensfalre enabled with the default F/A-18. I use My Traffic X 5.4 Professional so with all the aircraft, cars and boats moving about I was sure FSX would crash, but it didn't. It actuallt flew quite well after the bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 tweak and for 10 minutes I flew low over the treetops and mountains in 700+ kts with only minor stutters and blurries with 20-40 fps. I then moved to Aerosoft's London scenery with the same settings and flew around there for a while. Stutters and blurries were aweful, but still I couldn't crash FSX. I used the menues a lot, changed views and span the spot view around the aircraft for half a minute, but still no OOM crash. So was it the tweak, or something else... who knows?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Guest jahman
  1. Set USERVA to 3072 (3 GBy)
  2. Update to the latest FSUIPC4 version (in case you are having the G3D.dll CTD)
  3. Update your MVC and .NET runtimes by enableing Windows Update

Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44

Your sliders are set too high. It is impossible to run FSX w/o issues with ALL sliders set to max (as you stated). It's something to do with the fact FSX can only handle 3GB's of memory effectively. Remove the 3GB switch as you have a 64 bit system. Aerosoft's London scenery is a memory hog but works well with modest FSX settings and a good CPU. Who told you you could run FSX at the max settings? Read the manuals for the London scenery put out by Aerosoft and it will provide recommended settings. The same for FTX/Orbx Ketchikan. They will also provide any recommended tweaks to enhance performance too. But, for now, return to the default settings for your CPU/Motherboard and/or lower your fsx graphics and AI settings. You'll enjoy FSX much better. When Microsoft Flight comes out this year or next, then turn your settings up to max as it will probably be programmed better to manage the graphics and memory.Best regards,Jim

Edited by firehawk44

Your sliders are set too high. It is impossible to run FSX w/o issues with ALL sliders set to max (as you stated). It's something to do with the fact FSX can only handle 3GB's of memory effectively. Remove the 3GB switch as you have a 64 bit system. Aerosoft's London scenery is a memory hog but works well with modest FSX settings and a good CPU. Who told you you could run FSX at the max settings? Read the manuals for the London scenery put out by Aerosoft and it will provide recommended settings. The same for FTX/Orbx Ketchikan. They will also provide any recommended tweaks to enhance performance too. But, for now, return to the default settings for your CPU/Motherboard and/or lower your fsx graphics and AI settings. You'll enjoy FSX much better. When Microsoft Flight comes out this year or next, then turn your settings up to max as it will probably be programmed better to manage the graphics and memory.Best regards,Jim
I think you misunderstood my post. When I had the OOM crash my settings were conservative and FSX as smooth as it gets. I have no desire to max out everything during normal operation of the sim as it makes things very unrealistic.Maxing out everything was purely for stress testing FSX. I've now been flying for two hours around Ketchikan in ORBX land with no crashes, everything maxed out, dual views open, gps, ATC, REX weather and TracIR. Still no crash (I'm typing on my iPad as I write his). I haven't removed the Windows boot tweak. No flying towards Seattle in th F/A-18 at full speed.

"IncreaseUserVA 2560 tweak" and "

• Set USERVA to 3072 (3 GBy)"

The bcedit tweak should NOT be used in a 64-bit OS because FSX already has access to the full 4GB Virtual address space and by setting this flag you may be reducing the amount of VAS that FSX (and any 32-bit program installed) can access. Thankfully it probably doesn't work. If it did work by using userva 2560 you would have reduced the VAS available from 4GB to around 2.5GB. Not a good move!It is a 32-bit OS tweak only and has quite a few bad side effects associated with it.Remember this tweak has nothing to do with how much Physical RAM you have installed or the size of your paging file.OOM errors are nothing to do with physical RAM but everything to do with the Virtual Address Space annf in a 64-bit OS running a 32-bit program you are limited to a max 4GB. If you deplete the VAS (easy with complex planes/scenery) or there is not enough contiguous space in the VAS for FSX to load into then an OOM will follow as sure as night follows day.RegardsPeterH

Edited by peterhayes

"IncreaseUserVA 2560 tweak" and "
  • Set USERVA to 3072 (3 GBy)"

The bcedit tweak should NOT be used in a 64-bit OS because FSX already has access to the full 4GB Virtual address space and by setting this flag you may be reducing the amount of VAS that FSX (and any 32-bit program installed) can access. Thankfully it probably doesn't work. If it did work by using userva 2560 you would have reduced the VAS available from 4GB to around 2.5GB. Not a good move!It is a 32-bit OS tweak only and has quite a few bad side effects associated with it.Remember this tweak has nothing to do with how much Physical RAM you have installed or the size of your paging file.OOM errors are nothing to do with physical RAM but everything to do with the Virtual Address Space annf in a 64-bit OS running a 32-bit program you are limited to a max 4GB. If you deplete the VAS (easy with complex planes/scenery) or there is not enough contiguous space in the VAS for FSX to load into then an OOM will follow as sure as night follows day.RegardsPeterH

Hi Peter, Hi Jim,Is there any known way to clear the memory in flight in order to reclaim it. How about using autosave where it will automatically save the flight; Does that clean or free up memory? I can run pretty much anything anywhere at 100% everything, including boats and cars, and airport traffic and UT2 and every other setting in intense FTX areas without any kind of performance issues whatsoever with Nvidia's new built in FPS limiter set at 30FPS. However, within a little while without notice I run clean out of memory and get the OOM error. Has anyone come up with a workaround. This is a new problem for me since if I tried that before the FSUIPC4 fix I would get a G3D.dll that would shut it all down before it could run out. It seems when we clear one huge hurtle, we hit another. Kind of ironic, in a bad way.Kind regards,

StephenI did postulate, (as is my want) that the autosave does indeed refresh something in FSX (.NET Garbage Collector, kernel, heaps, stacks, handles or something). IMHO, and it is only an opinion, that the VAS becomes defragmented and I have seen that using a sysinternals app called VMMap, and the contiguous block sizes become smaller as the FSX flights become longer. As soon as you use something like autosave, (even ALT-Tab or refresh scenery key) the VAS space appears (I do stress appears as I am not an expert in interpreting VMMap) to become less fragmented and the contiguous block sizes appear to be larger or getting larger and that could be the key to reducing OOM errors. I can't prove any of this but if there is someone out there who uses VMMap and sees a similar situation when using say complex scenery coupled with complex tube liners plus add-on weather, plus add on AI, they might corroborate my theory. I only fly GA planes plus complex scenery and do not see any OOM errors and since Pete Dowson's FSUIPC fix no g3d.dll errors. Again using the latter fix and using VMMap you could see that the fragmentation of the VAS was less. However, I asked PeteD about this and he didn't think that there was any connection.I have written to Mark Russinovich from MS Sysinternals about VMMap and how to interpret its results wrt FSX, but he is a very busy person, and may not reply for sometime, if ever. Do a google search for WCL405-HD.wmv Mark Russinovich "Mysteries of Windows Memory Mnaagement revealed", Atlanta, May 2011, to see how VMMap might be able to help in FSX OOM issues. Unfortunately I have lost the original URL reference to the video.Hope this helpsPeterH

Thanks Peter! Strange as it may seem I have not been able to replicate the OOM error since applying the IncreaseUserVA 2560 tweak, but that could easly be just a coincidence... Let's hope Flight brings with it less mystery than FSX.Hi Stephen. I experience the same as you. No problem running everything at max, although I never do unlesss I'm stress testing.Could the OOM error be a result of heavy AI traffic building up over time?

Guest firehawk44
However, within a little while without notice I run clean out of memory and get the OOM error. Has anyone come up with a workaround.
Stephen,As you know I have a very similar system and I have never had an OOM with my 64 bit system. Here are some suggestions: Your page file is not set correctly (mine is set to 'system managed size') (Internet searches reveal Microsoft techs are very adament about letting Windows 7 manage your virtual memory) (a low memory error is usually due to the page file being turned off, or its min and max size set too low), your extreme overclocking has created the issue and maybe causing your DIMMS to overheat, your FSX sliders are set too high (the OP has proven this will occur), your Microsoft dotnet is not up-to-date (Microsoft .net software manages system memory for programs; certain versions of dotnet have caused 64 bit systems to run out of memory but later versions addressed this issue; MS .net 4 is installed automatically in Windows 7 but there have been several updates since release; make sure it is up-to-date), and lastly, you need to update your BIOS to 2103 if you haven't already. 2103 is the latest and improves memory compatibility and system stability. I still find it amazing that FSX can even bring Windows 64 bit systems to their knees begging for more power. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
I have not been able to replicate the OOM error since applying the IncreaseUserVA 2560 tweak
The 3GB tweak is only for 32 bit systems.
Could the OOM error be a result of heavy AI traffic building up over time?
Traffic is built up when fsx first loads. That's one of the reasons why FSX does not load very fast as it has to load all the AI and worldwide flight plans. It does not continue building traffic after FSX starts up.Best regards,Jim

Thanks Jim! Could be my recent win 7 updates then, including .NET.

I still find it amazing that FSX can even bring Windows 64 bit systems to their knees begging for more power. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim
Yep. If only quad core and hyperthreading had been supported... Let's hope P3D gets that fixed!

I am starting to see this very monster rear its ugly head. As any human who has tasted power I have begun to abuse it of late. With REX OD, almost all the US FSDT airports, the NGX and MD-11, UT2 set at 100% and FPS-wise I am still getting very good performance. However as I am nearing the approach phase of flight and things are happening more quickly I get the dreaded OOM. I am going to have to turn things down I guess but any suggestions on what?

I am starting to see this very monster rear its ugly head. As any human who has tasted power I have begun to abuse it of late. With REX OD, almost all the US FSDT airports, the NGX and MD-11, UT2 set at 100% and FPS-wise I am still getting very good performance. However as I am nearing the approach phase of flight and things are happening more quickly I get the dreaded OOM. I am going to have to turn things down I guess but any suggestions on what?
Start with autogen and traffic.
  • UT2's traffic should look realistic set around 40-60%.
  • I leave autogen around "Normal" and haven't seen a CTD since changing it from "Extremely Dense". It took a lot out of me using this setting, and it hurt my ego. Broken%20Heart.gif I'll survive.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I am going to have to turn things down I guess but any suggestions on what?
I'm in the same boat... the only time I get OOM's are in Orbx land with resource hogging payware, namely the NGX... So I've made special .cfg's for those city locations in Orbx, using LOD 4.5 and middle-high sliders instead of max... seems to give me a bit longer to fly.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |