Sign in to follow this  
Captain777er

Huge fps drop over water

Hi guys, I am using the 737Ngx and Rex textures. When I am flying over water the fps drops drastically (to 20 fps) compared to when am flying over land (60+) with low 2x setting! Does anyone have or had the same problem? If so, what can you suggest me?

Settings: texture 1024, dx10 not in use, ******* tweaks.

Thanks for your help!

Ive been banging my head over this exact same ISSUE!!!

if anyone has a fix for this then there's a 6pack of brews on me! :Just Kidding:

It's the wave animations that do this and it's not all of them. Try the one called "Use This!" - I don't have issues with that one.

I think Tim said there was going to be a fix for this sort of thing in REX Essential.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

yea cant wait till the essential pack is out going to improve things alot

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It's the wave animations that do this and it's not all of them. Try the one called "Use This!" - I don't have issues with that one.

I think Tim said there was going to be a fix for this sort of thing in REX Essential.

Thanks guys! Tabs is that in Rex?

Thanks guys! Tabs is that in Rex?

Yes it is Eduardo, it's one of the other water themes. I've been pondering this too. I use sparkling theme, mainly 'cos it looks superb IMO. If there is a fix for this in Esseentials that will be great, so come on Tim, get that beta team of yours sorted and get Essentials to us!! :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Guys, I found the fix for this some time ago and mentioned it here, it's also in the REX forum.

In nVidia Inspector, switch your anisotropic filtering to application controlled.

The frame rate loss over water will be gone, and I see no loss in quality.

It works, try it chaps. :smile:

Edit: Sorry Robert, I just noticed you posted the link to the REX forum.

I tried the Anistropic filtering app controlled gave worse quality, in particular at distance, only slight but it was there. So I've followed Ryan's suggestion and I now use the 'use this' water theme in REX and it has worked! Over certain water scenarios with frames locked at 30 I was getting about 22-24 now I get 30! I prefer the look of the 'sparkling' water theme, but not so much that I will trade it for the 'use this' theme. Thanks a bunch Ryan...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

I tried the Anistropic filtering app controlled gave worse quality, in particular at distance, only slight but it was there. So I've followed Ryan's suggestion and I now use the 'use this' water theme in REX and it has worked! Over certain water scenarios with frames locked at 30 I was getting about 22-24 now I get 30! I prefer the look of the 'sparkling' water theme, but not so much that I will trade it for the 'use this' theme. Thanks a bunch Ryan...

You can try this!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/372252-do-you-want-a-smooth-flight-with-no-stutters/

I use REX and no problems!!!!

Robert

Here's a fix I posted back in Sept in this forum without having to change your video card settings : http://forum.avsim.n...ng#entry2097361

If your running the Sparkling set in REX find the following four textures in your FSX/texture folder, they should be pretty big file sizes:

OceanHeight20FieldLayer.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer1.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer2.dds

OceanHeight20FieldLayer5.dds

Once you locate them back them up of course in case you mess up. Then simply open each one in DXTBmp and resave it as a DXT5 texture and your done, repeat for each one and them replace the recompressed texture back to the FSX/texture folder.

The reason I mentioned these files for the Sparkling set is because after I installed that set and them sorted the FSX/texture folder by last accessed, these were the four that were done. If you install a different water set then it could be either the same file names or maybe different ones. The easiest way to check is to sort the texture folder by last acessed after you install REX textures and you will be able to see what REX had just installed, then you can modify them accordingly.

I was having the same problem with REX water until I converted those files to DXT format and now water looks the same but there is no FPS hit from it.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Sean, and DXTBmp is what? and where is it found? Cheers...

Howard

Sorry for the previous post Sean, me being a durgh brain. I'll download the editor later today and follow your suggestions, cheers.

Howard