Sign in to follow this  
shally17

De-lidding the i7 3770K

Hello All,

Is there an experienced "CPU surgeon" out there who could please give me a step by step guide as to how to de-lid the i7 3770K and replace the crappy intel TIM with the coollaboratory liquid metal everyone seems to be talking about. I am unsure of:

1. How to use the razor blade to get the IHS off the CPU.

2. How to clean all the old TIM out.

3. How thick to apply the liquid metal on both the die and the IHS and the best way to apply it.

4. How to put it all back together.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you to all of you who participate in this great forum.

Regards,

Steve.

I've got pics of the last de-lid operation I performed, sooner or later I'm going to create a thread on the subject and perhaps it will be stickied, or at the very least I'll put it in my sig.

Let me give you some general tips:

1) get the thinnest razor blade you can find

2) pick an edge and push the blade in with your thumbs, wiggle back and forth if you can't just push it in

3) keep pushing until the blade is in about half an inch, this should clear most of the adhesive in that area

4) do all 4 corners in the same manner, and "sweep" the area in between each corner as a last step before moving on to the next corner

5) once done, the lid will basically just pop right off

6) last but certainly not least: GO SLOWLY!

The whole thing should take you 5-10 minutes if you do it slowly, less if you have a steady hand. The fastest one I did took maybe 2-3 minutes.