Sign in to follow this  
Xtremme

Is there any fix for d3d9.dll CTD?

Hi guys, after a long time trying I reinstalled FSX, this time I used ENB instead shade and got an almost perfect setup, with amazing look and very good FPSs.

I was almost able to finish my first flight, however ENB crashed when I triggered the instant replay.

I was aware about all the CTD issues, what i would like to know is if there is any way to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x48751493

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00006d1c

Faulting process id: 0xa68

Faulting application start time: 0x01cda2520238734f

Faulting application path: E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\d3d9.dll

Report Id: 9a033607-0e4c-11e2-9f65-005056c00008

There are some versions out there that work better with FSX. You just have to search until you find the right one most compatible with your computer and FSX as many have indicated it works great for them. I too had ENB running successfully for several weeks but got periodic crashes before I discovered it was the ENB mod. I still haven't found the compatible mod.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

you can also try this:

https://www.assembla...CGr4BM4acwqjQYw

It's the FXAA Tool HG6

Most folks who use this get no crashes including myself, however keep in mind it's d3d9.dll may not be compatible with 100% of all addons out there (in which case you may experience a CTD).

...just read the instructions on how to install...its simply a matter of copying over 1 folder and dropping 4 files into fsx...run the tool exe to turn off its antialiasing (you can set antialiasing through your graphics driver), then shut down the tool exe (no need to use it again unless youd like to play around with the effects settings) and run fsx like normal (the pause key toggles the effects on/off).

Thanks Jim and Dave, made couple more flights and everything went ok, it just CTD when I use the replay so I will pass from it, not a big deal.

Will fiddle around with FXAA again, ENB crashes nearly everyday :(

What settings are you using?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

havent even felt the need to mess with the few settings in there yet...the out of the box effects were a good enough improvement on fsx to satisfy me (i prefer a more subtle, natural look/colors)...cant compare it to enb since i never used that...but since i heard this was pretty much crash-free I figure why fix it if it aint broke!...and it only took 5-10 minutes to set it and forget it.

By the way, if you ever need to test things in fsx without it then just temporarily remove the d3d9.dll from your main fsx folder.

I wonder if this is one where you should delete your shader cache.

Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

But make a backup copy of the folder's before you delete\rename them. When you start FSX it will build a new cache.

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks I will try tomorrow.

For me the problems always appear when I switch window/full screen, when I try to load a saved game, etc.

Besides that I'm able to complete all my flights.

I ran FSX with ENB fine for a long time (at least a year or so) and I only started seeing crashes after I installed the QW Avro and a few scenery packages. I removed it and the crashes seem to be gone.

FXAA is cool and it is easy to use but the FPS hit was pretty hard on my system.

Thanks for the mention of deleting the shader cache. I forgot all about that. If I recall, I just change "SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=20" to "SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=21". Is that correct?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

yes, from what ive heard the QW 146/Avro's and certain specific scenery packages will get you CTD's if using any shader mod...to test those products make sure to remove the d3d9.dll file from fsx and see if the CTD's stop. If so, put back the d3d9.dll and try flying a different plane (stock cessna for example) and in a default scenery area.

...as far as frame rate I've only experienced maybe 2-3 frame loss (or about 5-10%)...and sometimes its been nil.

I used to get this crash ALL the time.. found out it was because of multiple monitors in my fsx.cfg when there was only one. Removed the second Display section, and now I've not seen that crash since.