Sign in to follow this  
As84

FSX doing REALLY weird?

Hello Avsim!

(This is the first time I post something on the forum, please correct me if I'm doing something wrong.)

I've searched all around the internet, searching if someone has a similar problem. But it seems that I'm the only person in the world who has this rare problem, I think.

My problem started out of nowhere, I didn't install new software, didn't change the settings of FSX and neither did I do something that FSX can't handle. I was preparing for making a new IFR flight. I noticed that the fuel parameters, in the ''Fuel and Payload section'', where changed into decimals instead of the default dots (.).

Once my flight was started up, I saw the AI traffic literally sinking into the ground. It looked like this:

I always press SHIFT-Z 3 times. Normally, I would see all perimeters in dots, instead of decimals, as I said. Also, the ''Fuel'' parameter is gone, which means my plane is practically unflyable, since the ''Payload'' parameter is set to full, and my fuel amount is set to 0%.

When I'm going to the Map, FSX starts yelling at me that my Longitude and/or Latitude is/are wrong.

Additional details of my problem are that when my plane is touching the ground, it shocks violently up and down, which has the exact same effect when you try to land a 737 with the gear up not at a runway.

Also my AI traffic are all drunk pilots. When they're at cruising altitude, the ''pilot'' pulls up violently, making the plane go in a stall, plunging from 40.000 ft without reacting to it, and crashing then into the ocean or ground, with the nose fully pulled up, with 97 knots usually.

My computer hasn't been affected by the problem (it keeps using dots instead of decimals), and the FSX ATC is working normally.

The problem occurs immediately when start an IFR flight, using the Flight Planner, but without using the Flight Planner, the problem only occurs only when you change a plane and/or relocate your plane using the Map.

When I started to get hopeless, I reinstalled FSX. But the problem is still ocurring, and nothing has changed. I reinstalled FSX correctly, using the PMDG guide to reinstall FSX.

I hope someone has a solution, tips or experience with this extremely rare problem.

Greets from Bas!

Edited by firehawk44
First photo removed as the limit is 1600W and 400KB max

Commas instead of dots, sounds like European settings vs US settings...

Have you changed language or country settings in Windows?

Bert

I would rename your fsx.cfg, restart fsx and see if this fixes the problem. If not, you can rename the old one back and we can look for another solution. You say you reinstalled FSX but evidently you did not as this problem would not occur with a fresh copy of FSX. Microsoft leaves a lot of FSX remnants when you uninstall the application and you have to delete hidden and unhidden folders plus clean the registry before reinstalling. Your terrain.cfg may be corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Commas instead of dots, sounds like European settings vs US settings...

Have you changed language or country settings in Windows?

No, I didn't change anything about the computer at all.

I would rename your fsx.cfg, restart fsx and see if this fixes the problem. If not, you can rename the old one back and we can look for another solution. You say you reinstalled FSX but evidently you did not as this problem would not occur with a fresh copy of FSX. Microsoft leaves a lot of FSX remnants when you uninstall the application and you have to delete hidden and unhidden folders plus clean the registry before reinstalling. Your terrain.cfg may be corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim

Nothing has changed. When I uninstalled FSX, I also deleted the hidden folders, although I'm not sure about registry codes.

You can see what I exactly did here:

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Thanks for that. It is a very good uninstall guide put up by PMDG; however, without cleaning your registry of old settings and possibly corrupt settings, the reinstall is not a fresh reinstall. They tell you to uninstall and delete certain files and folders then tell you to reinstall in another directory other than the default (which is where you probably had it installed orginally). So now you have many (not all) FSX registry settings showing FSX is installed in the default folders and then with the new installation the registry is also showing FSX installed somewhere else. I would run the free registry repair tool from Flight One to make sure the registry is 'seeing' the right installation - http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library. Thanks. Still I think your terrain.cfg is corrupt (which can be fixed with a 'repair' FSX install). What you are seeing is totally strange and something is obviously corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for that. It is a very good uninstall guide put up by PMDG; however, without cleaning your registry of old settings and possibly corrupt settings, the reinstall is not a fresh reinstall. They tell you to uninstall and delete certain files and folders then tell you to reinstall in another directory other than the default (which is where you probably had it installed orginally). So now you have many (not all) FSX registry settings showing FSX is installed in the default folders and then with the new installation the registry is also showing FSX installed somewhere else. I would run the free registry repair tool from Flight One to make sure the registry is 'seeing' the right installation - http://www.flight1.c...sp?page=library. Thanks. Still I think your terrain.cfg is corrupt (which can be fixed with a 'repair' FSX install). What you are seeing is totally strange and something is obviously corrupted.

Best regards,

Jim

I tried both (making a new texture.cfg and using that registry thing), nothing changes...

Thank you for helping me though.

Do you have any more suggestions?

I tried both (making a new texture.cfg and using that registry thing), nothing changes...

Apologize if I somehow confused you. Texture.cfg is located in every aircraft Texture folder to handle the textures for aircraft. You have a land issue here. I said terrain.cfg which handles the terrain configuration for FSX thoughout the world. It is a very large file and "is used to map texture information for vector data" (such as roads, rivers, streams) to polygon types and flattening information, and to control the automatic placement of certain fearures such as telephone poles, light poles, fences and power lines. This file provides reasonable defaults for most data types specified in vector data" (definition from the SDK). I'm thinking that somehow this terrain.cfg was not uninstalled on your system when you uninstalled FSX like PMDG told you and then you reinstalled FSX. Of course that sounds impossible too as PMDG told you to delete certain leftover folders and that folder definitely is left over whenever you uninstall FSX. But, maybe, somehow it was not deleted and remained in the new installation.

Respectfully, let's look at your situation logically. If you have a clean and fresh install of FSX, how is it possible for just you to have aircraft sitting under the runway, on their sides, and in weird positions? How is it possible your ground textures in the photos you show above are without textures and FSX cannot read your longitude and lattitude settings? As far as I can tell (via Google) this just happens to you. My recommendation is that you completely uninstall FSX as per the instructions of the PMDG guide. If you have SP1, SP2 or Acceleration installed, uninstall them first before you uninstall FSX. Then run a freeware registry cleaner. Now reinstall FSX. After FSX is installed and before doing anything else, run FSX and get it activated and do at least the default flight. If you only own FSX (deluxe?), then install SP1. Run FSX again and shutdown. Now install SP2. The installation is complete. That will fix your problem. Just be careful that you don't go in and mess around with the longitude and latitude settings unless you completely understand their structure in FSX. Hopefully this will fix your problem and you can enjoy your flights.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Yesterday this happened to me and it's freaking me out, it's exactly the same problem, I reinstalled FSX and the problem persists I only think in restoring mi OS:( did you find any solution?

Yesterday this happened to me and it's freaking me out, it's exactly the same problem, I reinstalled FSX and the problem persists I only think in restoring mi OS:( did you find any solution?

Not yet! We (firehawk44 and me) are working for a solution.

Well I hope we have more helpers here on AVSIM to help you with this issue too! If it's just me, you might be in trouble.... LOL

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Well I hope we have more helpers here on AVSIM to help you with this issue too! If it's just me, you might be in trouble.... LOL

Best regards,

Jim

I'm currently working on your advice. My last hope :(

Hopefully it'll work, or else... Yes then I would be in REAL trouble...

But I'm almost done, I'll let you know when I'm done.

Do you think is something universal? Because I saw this problem the same day you posted it, maybe it's a windos update or something?

Do you think is something universal? Because I saw this problem the same day you posted it, maybe it's a windos update or something?

Actually, that is a really good suggestion! And I can remember that I had an update the day before the problem started!

I think the number of people with this problem will grow if it's a Windows Update error.

saw this problem the same day you posted it, maybe it's a windos update or something?

That's a possibility but I update my system constantly and I do not have the problem(s). Windows update does update Microsoft.net framework occasionally and dotnet manages the way your application works. However, FSX is an old application is used Version 1.1 when FSX was installed. Same goes with Microsoft Visuals. They are updated too and they control the way your application/addon is installed or it's used by developers to make sure their application was installed properly.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM