•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Live weather vs Active Sky 2012 vs Opus weather

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ANZ121

ANZ121

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months and 13 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

Over the past few weeks there has been a lot of debate about weather reproduction in FSX through either REX, Active Sky 2012 and Opus. I do not use REX (apart from the textures used with both engines), so cannot comment.

But I do use Opus for low and slow and Active Sky 2012 for fast and high due to the availability of winds aloft data. I thought I would post this in the FSX forum as I am not promoting one or the other, but thought I would leave it to the reader to form their own opinions of what is suitable for them in FSX. First up is a real life picture taken last evening from my home just to the north of my local airport and looking to the north west with a cloud front moving in.

The following picture was taken within FSX using Opus weather again looking to the north west.

This last picture was taken within FSX using Active Sky 2012, again looking towards the north west.

As I said, I use both. But I know which one I prefer.

Edited by firehawk44, 29 October 2012 - 06:13 PM.
Images removed as all exceeded 1600W and 400KB limits. Repost with proper sizes.

P3Dv2 - "We are tagging along for the ride, and are lucky to have the opportunity. If you expect anything different, then it is your expectations that are out of place".

Forum Etiquette - When two egotists meet, it's an I for an I.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Is GOOGLE male or female? - Has to be female because she attempts to give you the answer before you finish the question !

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 ytzpilot

ytzpilot

Member - 2,000+

• Donor
  • 2,971 posts
  • Joined 5 Years and 14 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

OPUS looks more like the real thing.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

banner.png

#3 XPX64man

XPX64man

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,371 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 19 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

OPUS looks more like the real thing.

Cheers

Sure does! Looks great.

Robert Yunque
Banner_MJC11_zpsc02297c8.png

#4 FloG

FloG

Donor

• 3,108 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for posting this comparing pictures.
I'm currently running Active Sky, but the Opus picture sure looks way better. Now I consider buying Opus, too, at least for GA tours.

Regards,
Flo

Florian

You Have Agreed To These. Make Sure You Have Read Them: Terms of Service (ToS) | Screen Shot Rules
Important other links: Privacy Policy | Forum Help | Add Your Site to the Links Database! | Basic FSX Configuration Guide | Request Support | FAQ's                                                                                                                                                                                  

Countries Called Home By AVSIM Staff (click on the flag for more information about the country):

ca.png Canada | bg.png Bulgaria | gb.png United Kingdom | au.png Australia | ie.png Ireland | in.png India | eg.png Egypt | pt.png Portugal | at.png Austria
th.png Thailand | gd.png Grenada | hu.png Hungary | co.png Colombia | nl.png Netherlands | fr.png France | us.png U.S.A.| es.png Spain| pl.png Poland

#5 Great Ozzie

Great Ozzie

Unforgiven

• RTW Race Team
  • 2,337 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 8 Months and 10 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

First up is a real life picture taken last evening from my home just to the north of my local airport

LOL when I was first looking at that one (hadn't read the above line) I just focused on the sky and was like... "wow not too bad..." :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 sbrayfo

sbrayfo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 10 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Is it just coincidence that there's a 10 frame difference between the two?
Regards,

Steve Brayford
Windsor, ON Canada
Delta Virtual Airlines - DVA 2299, Captain 767 Program

#7 vgbaron

vgbaron

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hate to bust a bubble but no matter WHICH one looked "more like the real thing" - it would have been a fluke. Now if one were completely clear or completely covered - then something is amiss but both pictures display the proper cloud coverage. The actual placement of the clouds is luck. if the metar calls for 6/8 cloud coverage, then that is what you should get, whether it looks like a picture at the exact moment is coincidence.

Both products are quite good.

It is extremely difficult to make any comparisons with one exception - does the product depict the metar correctly re winds, cloud coverage, visibility, etc. As to which you think LOOKS better - that is a completely personal thing mainly dependent upon graphics. What *I* think looks real and what you think are two completely subjective viewpoints and we BOTH are correct - for us.

For someone to buy EITHER product because someone else thinks it LOOKS better doesn't make much sense - it's how it looks to YOU that matters.

Just MHO,

Vic

#8 tf51d

tf51d

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 5,372 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 8 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

One thing I notice wth OPUS clouds are they tend to use long banding clouds on the lower levels, where ASE/AS2012 tend to use smaller puffy clouds low with the longer banding ones higher up. (As seen in these shots)
Thanks
Tom
My Youtube Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

#9 NyxxUK

NyxxUK

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,404 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 3 Months and 28 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Is it just coincidence that there's a 10 frame difference between the two?

19.9 and 20.2
10fps? think you might need to have your eyes looked at B) :excl:
David Murden.
Posted Image

#10 FloG

FloG

Donor

• 3,108 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 19 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

LOL when I was first looking at that one (hadn't read the above line) I just focused on the sky and was like... "wow not too bad..." http://forum.avsim.net/public/style_emot...

I thought that too, at first. :rolleyes:

Florian

You Have Agreed To These. Make Sure You Have Read Them: Terms of Service (ToS) | Screen Shot Rules
Important other links: Privacy Policy | Forum Help | Add Your Site to the Links Database! | Basic FSX Configuration Guide | Request Support | FAQ's                                                                                                                                                                                  

Countries Called Home By AVSIM Staff (click on the flag for more information about the country):

ca.png Canada | bg.png Bulgaria | gb.png United Kingdom | au.png Australia | ie.png Ireland | in.png India | eg.png Egypt | pt.png Portugal | at.png Austria
th.png Thailand | gd.png Grenada | hu.png Hungary | co.png Colombia | nl.png Netherlands | fr.png France | us.png U.S.A.| es.png Spain| pl.png Poland

#11 vgbaron

vgbaron

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 3 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

I thought that too, at first. http://forum.avsim.net/public/style_emot...

Mother Nature's framerates are great too!

BTW, if anyone wants to have some fun - load up AS2012 and go find hurricane Sandy and fly (if you can) around in it. Great stuff - especially if you are safe at home.

Vic

#12 ideoplastic

ideoplastic

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 2 Months and 9 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I use both and I'll give you my honest opinion:

As it stands today Active Sky in addition to the weather engine has a lot of useful things that OpusFSX does not currently have, such as Maps, Met/Reps, Weather finder, etc., all in a single application
which can run on a Network client. No need to give a review on this software since most users (and there are many) know its pros and cons.

OpusFSX has a weather generating engine with regular real weather data from NOOA. I am very impressed with the quality of the output the like of which I have never experienced
on any of the sim versions, so in this respect it is tops for me. There is one thing I don't like, and it is not having any weather effects until they are activated by creating one or more camera views
and enabling DHM; would expect effects to emanate from the weather engine automatically. What this means for me is that at the moment I cannot use the OpusFSX just for the weather, without
messing around with camera views, which I feel should be a separate module. My set up comprises one server and one client, and so far the weather engine has not had any noticeable effect on
my FPs, also when weather changes the transition is super smooth something to be very grateful for, but having been a devotee of "FSX only" on the Server PC I feel uneasy but that's just me
breaking a Taboo. Posted Image

Understand these are early days for the Opus Team and that they have many changes on the pipeline, including a version that will run on a client. So although not happy about the weather effects being separate from engine I intend to continue using it and will wait and see what the future brings from this team. As regards Cameras & Live Views, you have probably gathered I don't care much about them,
but if the effects and quality are as good as the weather generation then I'm sure those of you who are interested in this area won't have any reason to complain.

Also own a registered version of REX. Did test the weather engine a few times but found ASE to be much better and since only use for the textures.

regards

Regards

Joaquin Blanco

860975.png

#13 Great Ozzie

Great Ozzie

Unforgiven

• RTW Race Team
  • 2,337 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 8 Months and 10 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

What this means for me is that at the moment I cannot use the OpusFSX just for the weather, without
messing around with camera views, which I feel should be a separate module.

That is one thing I am still scratching my head about... :blink:

Reminds me (and if anyone accuses me of not kidding and saying something bad about Opus, I'll be so :t0105: ) reminds me of the SNL sketch about "Shimmer"...

"New Shimmer is a floor wax AND a dessert topping!" (hulu)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Griphos

Griphos

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Yes, you can use OPUS without using LiveCamera. Just use it for the weather, and don't enable the camera stuff. It's easy.

I also use Opus and like it a lot. Never used AS, so can't compare. Don't like REX weather. But I agree with Vic who quite correctly warns against deciding based on mirroring some small slice of the sky in an actual photo. No program will do that except by accident. What it needs to get right is the ratio of sky coverage and the layers and kinds of clouds.

cub_1.jpg

#15 firehawk44

firehawk44

Forums Director

• Administrators
  • 10,441 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The OpusFSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.
  • The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | Forums Director | AVSIM.com

ca.png Canada | bg.png Bulgaria | gb.png United Kingdom | au.png Australia | ie.png Ireland | in.png India | eg.png Egypt
th.png Thailand | gd.png Grenada | hu.png Hungary | co.png Colombia | nl.png Netherlands | fr.png France | us.png U.S.A.