Has anyone heard of a game controller issue with Windows 8 and FSX?

I have an X52 Pro and at random times the joystick will stop working inside the game. If I then go to Options > Settings > Controls within the games top menu bar the actual controller would no longer be listed. Although if I open the control panel/game controllers it would still respond in that window. So it only happens within the game and it does it at random times, a real pain when you lose control when coming into land after a long flight.

It doesn't seem to be the USB power settings because they have been changed and it doesn't matter what USB port the Saitek X52 is plugged into. I actually first thought it was something related to the specific joystick I use but I have a friend of mine who also has FSX running on Windows 8 with a different joystick (Non-Saitek) and has also experienced the issue.

So it does seem to be related with Windows 8 and FSX. Has anyone heard about any controller issues like this which are similar?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Blackrat

Hello,

I have the same problem with my VR insight Flight Master Yoke and Win7.

Exept that the problem became so recurent that I can't fly since a few days, cause my Yoke isn't recognize anymore. Understand me: the drivers are installed, win7 pretends the device work correctly, but no impulses are being shown in the calibration manager.

I have connected the yoke in another computer and it works. So it is driver related. But since they are automatically managed by Win7 I can't do anything.

I just reinsatlled win and FS with an old trusty image disc. The problem persists. I don't know what to do.

Good luck.

Souheil

Have either of you guys tried disabling the "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power"?

Double click any/all of your USB hubs in Device manager and go to the power management tab and take the tick out of the box.

As your BOTH running Windows 8, have you updated your systemboard BIOS to cope with it?

Many systemboard manufacturers have or should release new BIOS's for Windows 8.

Has anyone heard of a game controller issue with Windows 8 and FSX?

Welcome to Windows 8 Hell. You are cordially invited to join the other tortured souls in their own special forum thread.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/393486-windows-8-joystick-megathread-problem/

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the suggestion RCITGuy, I'll certainly give it a try.

w6kd: It seems I'm not alone..

Blackrat

I had random problems with my Saitek yoke and throttle. I completely lost the throttle and thought it was dead. I was trying all sorts of things even thinking about tearing it apart to see what was wrong. I was through tinkering and looking to buy a new one. I just happened to be looking at the control settings page and at the bottom right was a block for restoring the defaults. I clicked this and after reassinging everything I fired up the sim. It was and has been working perfect since. You might give this a try. Hey it don't cost anything.

I had random problems with my Saitek yoke and throttle. I completely lost the throttle and thought it was dead. I was trying all sorts of things even thinking about tearing it apart to see what was wrong. I was through tinkering and looking to buy a new one. I just happened to be looking at the control settings page and at the bottom right was a block for restoring the defaults. I clicked this and after reassinging everything I fired up the sim. It was and has been working perfect since. You might give this a try. Hey it don't cost anything.

Hi !

Do you mean the control settings of FSX ?

Cause in my case I'm running Win7 (notWin8) and my problem is happening at the Game controller calibration of Win7.

I've just installed everything from scratch: Win7 and FSX. My yoke is still not recognize by Win7,

but was on another computer running WinXP. This is crazy.

Souheil

Yes. Just reset to default. You will have to re program the switches and stuff. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

RLJR

Yes. Just reset to default. You will have to re program the switches and stuff. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

RLJR

Hi,

No it didn't change anything. Like I saide, my problem is WIN related not FSX. Since I can't even calibrate the yoke.

I'm waiting for an answer from Vr Insight.

Thanks anyway.

Souheil

Hi guys, had the same problem with win8. run fsx in win xp sp3 compatibility mode it worked for me with Saitek yoke.

Hope this helps

I have zero issues with Win8 x64 and FSX concerning display, performance... Though I also experience Saitek x52 to be missing from the FSX, though it is clearly visible in Control panel and in the calibration window. What I noticed is this - if I fire up fsx on my laptop first and then connect the Saitek controlers they wont work - solution - restart the windows. I had issues in Win7 where Saitek would stop working in mid flight, like gone from the controllers window, but I haven't experienced anything like that in Win8.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

OK I think I have found a partial solution. I came across a little dll file called dinput8.dll.

Go to www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?dinput8 and get it from there (the .zip file not the installer).

I think it's a file from DX8.

Place the dll in your FSX folder and all should be ok.

I've been running this for a few days now and haven't lost my joystick once, whereas before I was losing it after 5-10 minutes of flight.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Blackrat

I've been all through these issues and found that the solution was (in addition to disabling the power saving) is to uninstall the default Win 8 drivers for your joystick. Then update them to the ones from you joystick vendor. Doing this has solved all my disconnect issues.

MadCatz (for Saitek controllers) has documented how to do this.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Have either of you guys tried disabling the "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power"?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Double click any/all of your USB hubs in Device manager and go to the power management tab and take the tick out of the box.

As your BOTH running Windows 8, have you updated your systemboard BIOS to cope with it?

Many systemboard manufacturers have or should release new BIOS's for Windows 8.

This worked for me , Thanks !!  :rolleyes: