Sign in to follow this  
LesPaulGuitarsRock

Maiden flight in DX10 and pc crashed

Hi.

After a few trial runs, I`ve just attempted my first DX10 flight.

Was all going great (2 hrs into the flight), got contacted by Vatsim, and PC froze.

Screen turned black, and no error warnings.

Could still hear ATC trying to get in touch with me.

Went into Event viewer, and all there was, was a Application hang error 1002. FSX.exe

Dosn`t really help, as had few progs running in background.

Any ideas?

This could be the infamous "UIAutomationCore.dll" issue with Windows 7 and our FSX. If you haven't already put this dll in the root folder of fsx (where fsx.exe lives), then download it from here, drop it into the aforementioned spot and rename it to the aforementioned name! That's it. Windows 7 and Vista both use this dll as part of their interface between the application and the operating system, but fsx was never tested with the Windows 7 version (6.1.7600.16385), only with the older version, used with Vista, and, even then it only works with one version - 6.0.5840.16386. 

Hope this helps,

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

The uiautomationcore.dll only fixes the fsx menu crashes (repeatedly hitting the menu).  It does not fix any other types of crashes within FSX.

There's a program that gives you more information about the hang - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html.  Download it and see if it gives any clue as to what caused you sim to freeze.  In 90% of all freezes (AppHangs), it is caused by high settings plus running other programs in the background like REX or AS2012 and running those programs with real weather.  It probably is freezing when the weather app goes on-line to update the weather.  I can reproduce these freezes 100% of the time running my PMDG737NGX, AS2012 weather over MegaSceneryEarth photo terrain.  If I do not run AS2012 but turn on the default weather (which is really AS2012 as AS2012 takes over default weather too when installed), the freeze will not happen.  When I goto the Task Manager and end AS2012 and then get back to FSX (sometimes difficult but possible), my flight resumes with no problems.  I think it is also the texture settings in the weather program, the theme that is installed.  If you have 4096 clouds and textures, it won't cause a freeze but it will cause a CTD.  This is if you also have high FSX and display driver settings.

So this is not a DX10 issue.  Turn down your settings or fly without a commercial weather program and use the default.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I had a feeling I`m pushing my system.

Since switching to DX10, I`ve managed to get all my setting sliders to full.

Will back some off, and see what happens.

PS.

When setting up FSX, for DX9 there is a ******* tweak to make some changes.

Can you still use this for DX10?

I had a feeling I`m pushing my system.

Since switching to DX10, I`ve managed to get all my setting sliders to full.

Will back some off, and see what happens.

PS.

When setting up FSX, for DX9 there is a ******* tweak to make some changes.

Can you still use this for DX10?

Yes, you can use those tweaks for DX10. By the way, are you using Squawkbox and running it internally? There is a bug with it when you run it internally that when you receive a private message FSX freezes, goes black, and crashes.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

I will experience a CTD when I push the LOD_Radius past 5.5 because my sliders are set way over to the right.  

I tried DX10 late last year then switched back to DX9 because I was having problems with the ENB Series shader mod.  Happily I am now back with my beloved DX10 as I have switched to the SweetFX Shader from Guru 3D and having followed the AVSIM AA with DX10 discussion I am excited about how the sim looks now.

As for settings have you looked at the DX10 "How-To" doc?  You might find a little bit of useful info in that.

\Robert Hamlich/

Yes, you can use those tweaks for DX10. By the way, are you using Squawkbox and running it internally? There is a bug with it when you run it internally that when you receive a private message FSX freezes, goes black, and crashes.

Hi, I use FSInn, but I did get a private msg and my PC crashed just after, as you describe.

Hi, I use FSInn, but I did get a private msg and my PC crashed just after, as you describe.

I'm not really sure if this is the same bug, but maybe it is just a glitch with FSinn and DX10. I fly with FSinn also, but ever since switching to DX10, I've been using fsinn networked on a laptop, so it isn't running internally on my FS computer. As a result, I'm not really sure if this is the same bug that squawkbox has.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero