Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Where to install FSX in Win 8?

I was considering upgrading to windows 8, and wanted to know where you install, and is there any improvement at all in FSX for those of you who have managed to get it working?

If you are committed to use Windows 8,  then install FSX  in (say)  an FSX directory, off the root of one of your Drives.

ie  C:\FSX    or  D:\FSX

Avoid installing it in the default "Program Files(x86)" directory, and thus avoid all the additional Windows Security (and overheads) associated with the default Program directory.

Like for Windows 7,  you probably still need the correct Vista 32  version of UIautomationcore.dll,   placed in your FSX directory  (same directory as your fsx.exe).

I am still running Windows 7,  and see a lot of people running Windows 8, reporting various issues with FSX .

You would be well advised to read some of these posts on various FS websites,  before making a final decision.

I've got Windows 8 with no problems yet, but I've got everything on my WD external Hard Drive.

I've had WIN8 for some time and now everything works great.  As FSMP stated above, yes, you will still need UIautomationcore.dll placed in your FSX directory.  I took time and installed FSX in the default directory....everything worked fine.  I then uninstalled all FSX data, and reinstalled into C:\FSX directory, which I created, and it worked fine.  Have had no problems either way, however, a lot of simmers recommend to install in a different directory than the default, and keep out of the C:\Program files (X86) directory.  I agree.  It just seems to make everything a lot easier as you don't always have to worry about administrator rights etc, for some programs to run.

The only problem I had is my CH yoke and pedals would stop working after a few minutes of flying, and I guess it's something within WIN 8 and it's been a big topic within the flight sim community.  I configured all my yoke axes and buttons, along with the rudder and brake pedals with FSUIPC.  And haven't had any problems since.

Bottom Line, I like Win 8 and, I've had all windows versions since the beginning.  But, I now also have a better computer, graphics card, etc than I've ever had. 

I'm not trying to persuade you into upgrading, just letting you know my experience with WIN 8 so far.

Rod

Rod Beck

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "WIN8 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.