Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

SweetFX CTDs - any closer to a fix?

Hi All

I've been away from the FSX scene for a few months, and I was one of the minority that had constant CTD's (with no error message) whilst clicking and using menus with SweetFX.

I was just wondering whether there had been any developments in identifying the cause/finding a solution for this annoyance since I'd been away?

All the SFX threads are full of settings etc. and just confuse me!

Thanks!

I have to admit I have moved back to stock FSX because I get so many crashes with Sfx and Enb, mine happen when alt tabbing or going into another window like setting the fuel. I completed my first full flight last night without crashes... And of course without those DLL's.....

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I'm almost positive I have the fix for this CTD issue.

When using SweetFX in combination with it's SMAA or FXAA anti-aliasing options, CTD's seem to haunt FSX. This has been the case for me anyways. The fix is to disable those options and let NVInspector (for Nvidia users) handle all the anti-aliasing. AND.. this seems to be an important factor... "Pause" the sim prior to switching to or from full screen mode. This has worked for me.

I'm currently using both ENB and SweetFX and rarely experience any crashes. The settings are still off as I'm not entirely happy with the bloom effect but still looks much better than default FSX in my personal opinion. The problem with this setup is that now there are two config files to tweak...

Here is a shot of the 738 NGX at KPHX from the tower view with and without the ENB/SweetFX setup. I have gone to and from full screen mode to do these shots at least 20+ times.

Without ENB/SweetFX:

2013-8-23_8-15-54-946.jpg

With:

2013-8-23_8-15-49-916.jpg

I have to admit I have moved back to stock FSX because I get so many crashes with Sfx and Enb, mine happen when alt tabbing or going into another window like setting the fuel. I completed my first full flight last night without crashes... And of course without those DLL's.....

Yes, that's what I did because I was sick of it - mine is also alt tabbing or using menus etc.

I'm almost positive I have the fix for this CTD issue.

When using SweetFX in combination with it's SMAA or FXAA anti-aliasing options, CTD's seem to haunt FSX. This has been the case for me anyways. The fix is to disable those options and let NVInspector (for Nvidia users) handle all the anti-aliasing. AND.. this seems to be an important factor... "Pause" the sim prior to switching to or from full screen mode. This has worked for me.

I'm currently using both ENB and SweetFX and rarely experience any crashes. The settings are still off as I'm not entirely happy with the bloom effect but still looks much better than default FSX in my personal opinion. The problem with this setup is that now there are two config files to tweak...

Here is a shot of the 738 NGX at KPHX from the tower view with and without the ENB/SweetFX setup. I have gone to and from full screen mode to do these shots at least 20+ times.

Without ENB/SweetFX:

With:

Very interesting discovery! I will try it eagerly!

Could you tell me specifically what options I need to disable? Presumably this is in the settings text file, yes?

Thanks very much!

I have to admit I have moved back to stock FSX because I get so many crashes with Sfx and Enb, mine happen when alt tabbing or going into another window like setting the fuel.

Could it be this:

- "The uiautomationcore.dll only fixes the fsx menu crashes (repeatedly hitting the menu)."

??

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/403943-maiden-flight-in-dx10-and-pc-crashed/?hl=%2Bsweetfx+%2Bctd#entry2635637

Sounds like the infamous uiautomationcore.dll issue.

I never experienced ctds with sweet-fx, like I mentioned in various threads before.

So it shouldn't crash your sim either. If you don't have that fix, that's probably the cause. you MUST install it (copy-paste file into fsx root). You can get it from my sig. If you already have it installed then, it can be something else causing it.

Now guys, a while ago I figured there's no point assigning AA modes in NV if you have sweet-fx. That's because sfx applies SMAA which is a good AA mode. I turned Off all AA settings in NV and left sfx's sole AA and there's no difference in quality/performance, and it's more efficient this way because less "tweaks" = better.

Sounds like the infamous uiautomationcore.dll issue.

I never experienced ctds with sweet-fx, like I mentioned in various threads before.

So it shouldn't crash your sim either. If you don't have that fix, that's probably the cause. you MUST install it (copy-paste file into fsx root). You can get it from my sig. If you already have it installed then, it can be something else causing it.

Now guys, a while ago I figured there's no point assigning AA modes in NV if you have sweet-fx. That's because sfx applies SMAA which is a good AA mode. I turned Off all AA settings in NV and left sfx's sole AA and there's no difference in quality/performance, and it's more efficient.

Definitely not the uiautomationcore problem, as said - the problem is only with SFX. Hours and hours of testing over a couple of months has categorically, 110% confirmed that the issue only exists when SFX is in use.

It seems like a minority of us get this problem, but there is definitely an issue. Seems for most people SFX works fine, but for some, there is a problem that causes CTDs with no error.

Like I said, install the damn dll if you haven't already. If you don't do that, we can't help you further.

Also check that "compatibility" is set to OFF in your fsx shortcut.

Like I said, install the damn dll if you haven't already. If you don't do that, we can't help you further.

Also check that "compatibility" is set to OFF in your fsx shortcut.

No need for the hostility. I installed the correct uiautomationcore.dll several months ago and after hours and hours of testing - as stated - I know for a fact that this problem is only Sweet FX related. With SFX installed, the problem can be replicated within one hour of testing. With SFX uninstalled, I have testied for 3 weeks without issue. That's how I know where the problem is.

As I said before, it only seems to be a small minority of SFX users that have the problem. The majority seem to be able to use it without issue.

It just seemed odd to me because we are trying to advance here and no clear indication whether you have it installed or not, was given.

Anyway, check control panel 'add/remove' for the KB2670838 (click on 'show updates installed').

It's known to cause issues with sfx. The sfx author has to update his dlls, but until he does you can experience ctds because of this KB. In dx10 the ctds are granted with this KB installed. Less likely to happen in DX9, but still possible.

Mind that you can remove it and it's suppose to pop back for installation. However, this update seems to be tied somehow to other KBs related with IE9/10 and so when installing a IE9 KB, this KB will be installed as well. Dunno why, it's the windows update 'trickery' which I have no clue about.

I removed it several times and each time it popped back for installation so I didn't run into issues. However, if you're not certain in what you're doing, then just make sure you can revert before removing.

Without this KB, I can testify not receiving ctds at all, either dx9 or dx10.

ps,

fsx isn't the only application suffering ctds with this KB. if you google you will find other games have problem with it too.

Please can you let us know which Sweet FX preset you are using?

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

yep, make sure you're using sweet-fx 1.4. Best to get that off my sig or off the original sfx page @ guru3d.

Btw sfx is out in version 2.0 alpha. I'm going to investigate what this could possibly fix, that's broken in 1.4.

It just seemed odd to me because we are trying to advance here and no clear indication whether you have it installed or not, was given.

Anyway, check control panel 'add/remove' for the KB2670838 (click on 'show updates installed').

It's known to cause issues with sfx. The sfx author has to update his dlls, but until he does you can experience ctds because of this KB. In dx10 the ctds are granted with this KB installed. Less likely to happen in DX9, but still possible.

Mind that you can remove it and it's suppose to pop back for installation. However, this update seems to be tied somehow to other KBs related with IE9/10 and so when installing a IE9 KB, this KB will be installed as well. Dunno why, it's the windows update 'trickery' which I have no clue about.

I removed it several times and each time it popped back for installation so I didn't run into issues. However, if you're not certain in what you're doing, then just make sure you can revert before removing.

Without this KB, I can testify not receiving ctds at all, either dx9 or dx10.

ps,

fsx isn't the only application suffering ctds with this KB. if you google you will find other games have problem with it too.

I can confirm that I had already removed this KB as I'd read previously that it had solved some users CTDs with SFX.

And I am using the latest version from the Guru3D website, downloaded yesterday. I am yet to replicate a crash but haven't had time for much testing as of yet. I will let you know once I have been able to "force" a crash again...