Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG 777 Release Bitter Sweet.

First of all let me say I'm happy for those FSXer's in our community who've finally gotten their long awaited release. What this brings to mind is where things are really at with this ever small nitch market we have. There's very real reasons why many of us use other sims and not FSX. For X-Plane users many would rather not deal with Microsoft in any way (very understandable). Linux based OS's and continued ongoing support is where their at. P3D for some is the alternative to a dead platform the developer (Microsoft) is no longer supporting/developing. FS9er's for the most part is purely economic in nature. Many of us at this time can't upgrade to what we really need to make FSX shine. Other options like Aerofly FS, Flight, and Flight Gear many use in conjunction with the main options I listed. For the sake of discussion the main sims most enthusiast use in our community is FS9, FSX, X-Plane, and Prepare 3D. What are the percentages of these various groups and is it right to cater to one group forsaking the rest of the community?

Here's the problem, just like FS9 for years there's some major/extraordinary development going on for FSX with a sketchy future as to how long it will be able to be used with future hardware/software. I could understand developing like this for P3D or X-Plane but FSX is really starting to shock me. Already we are hearing word that FSX doesn't do well if at all with Windows 8.1, on PMDG's website Windows 8 support is not even guaranteed, and no other base platform is even offered as an option (P3D, X-Plane, etc). Now it's obvious why other platforms aren't considered because of development resources but FSX's days is numbered.

People across our community will truly have to stick with Windows 7 for the distant (double that 2x's) future. Microsoft is going Tablet/Phone if they decide to continue under idiot Ballmers plan forsaking everything. Screw SQL, Server, .NET, Desktop PC's for business use, all out the window (pun intended). They need to catch that phone market my any means necessary (they even bought Nokia). They have development tools still in 32bit while their OS's have long since been 64bit. The company is in flux as to their identity just like they had an identity crisis as to what Flight Simulator actually was and who it should be marketed to. Very dangerous they can't figure out who they are yet their software controls so much of the business/government world. Just like with Windows 8 and what happened with us in the sim arena the world will realize it's a fools errand to put so much stock into a companies products forsaking all others. The governments of the world will most likely step in and help Microsoft find it's way before they screw up so much of what the world in operating on. It's not just FSX but like FSX the world in general feels they need to stay with what works like Windows 7 and their server solutions but how long will this be viable? This brings me back to my point, seeing we are dealing with a company in psychosis why put much stock into their products. FSX is done in Microsoft's eyes and after Windows 8.1 most likely won't run again on any future OS from Microsoft. The elephant in the room is X-Plane will and if P3D hangs on so will it. Why is such a major developer like PMDG devoting such effort on a stellar product like the 777 for a dead platform like FSX? At this stage of the game we should be forward looking as to what's truly going to be around years down the road. Yes we can keep Windows 7 on our desktops and snuggle with FSX for years but by that time Lockheed will have made major strides with P3D, X-Plane will be that much farther along working in Windows 10, and with Ballmer gone Flight Simulator might make a come back with a future version (you never know). Bottom line is XPlane and P3D are the current standard we have in this community that's actively being developed. It's shocking to think how far along XPlane would be now if at word from Microsoft Aces was disbanded this community rallied around XPlane. P3D is up in the air but that platform now can handle this 777 built mainly for FSX. Dual sim support should at least be considered for P3D (FS9 is a lost argument)...

Last but not least is the gloating and exclusion. We are now a much smaller community than we once were. Some people actually believe the sim world revolves around FSX and our communities size should be judged by PMDG sales (I found that funny to say the least)... It is too bad in 2013 we are not all on one sim like the glory days of FS9. It's even worse knowing so much is going into a platform that will never take advantage of newer technologies coming down the pipe with future hardware and software. For those with Linux and XPlane there is a future, those using P3D there is hope, but for those with FSX get the most you can out of Windows 7 and in time the world will pass you by as you say has happened with those still using FS9. Not to sound like sour grapes but Windows 8.1 is less than two months away and it's shaping up to be the first Microsoft OS FSX won't run on. Lockheed will make sure P3D will run on Windows 8.1, 9, 10, or anything in the future taking advantage of all future DX versions if Lockheed continues with P3D. XPlane beats that even more because it will run on Windows, Linux, and OSX versions far into the future as long as Austin is still alive or someone else takes the helm at Laminar Research. It's amazing both in personal decisions or developer consideration, in any other scenario most of us would take the option with the longest shelf life.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Why is PMDG developing for FSX? Because their projections indicate that's the way they will make most money. Why aren't they developing for any other platform? Because they've run the numbers and decided that the extra sales won't outweigh the extra costs.

If the majority of simmers move away from FSX I assure you PMDG will follow, but at the moment they obviously feel it's in their best interest to continue developing for FSX.

That said, there is the secret PMDG X-Plane project, so who knows...

PMDG isn't the only company that thinks FSX still has a strong future.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I tend to agree that today FSX is where the money is. A developer can't worry about whether or not your purchase will still run in ten years. They have to concern themselve with how many sales can they make today, this month, this quarter, this year. Even with a product as popular as the PMDG's T7 sales will fall off sharply in a couple months and slow to a trickle fairly soon. 

FSX for now and a few years hence.

XPX is missing too many thing FSX has.

P3D will never be widely publicly released IMHO.

spacer.png

What I can add here is that what PMDG has put together as far as top notch people to make this plane carries big big bucks. I am sure they believe FSX will carry them in the long haul. It's all about profit now not what will happen in a few years. Whatever comes later technology wise I am sure they will have the muscle to make it happen.

Fsx has the most users. If a company wants to make a profit you enter the biggest market. In this case a market you have already worked and developed in.

Richie Walsh

"Windows 8.1 is less than two months away and it's shaping up to be the first Microsoft OS FSX won't run on"

All remains to be seen, preview is not the release and according to MS FSX is compatable with 8.1 (here.) So lets see how it pans out, though I agree it doesn't look good right now.

FSX is working fine for me on windows 8.0 so I don't understand how we are all stuck on Win7.

Great post Dillon!

I also have very mixed feelings about the future of FSX. It may have a few more years to live and we can certainly enjoy it, but I can't see myself still running this in the next decade.

I wonder almost every day what the next generation sim platform will be. P3D in its current state is not an option for me.

And X-Plane... I was very enthusiastic about it last year, but it seems that third-party addon development has somewhat stalled. We'll see if X-Plane can regain some momentum when PMDG or some other noteworthy FSX developer release one of their addons for XP.

The question that bugs me most is if there is still something behind door number three?

Maybe DCS or Outerra? Or is Aerosoft's once proposed sim platform not as dead as it seems right now? Robert Randazzo once menitoned at the Avsim FANCON some "other platform" that was apparently not FSX or XP. Still wondering what he meant...

Right now I'm using FSX on a regular basis but I hope that a switch to another platform will happen in the next two years. For me it's getting quite hard to justify more addon purchases for FSX when thinking about the possibility that the whole stuff may soon be obsolete.

FSX is certainly not dead, since the hardware has caught up, it runs quite well for me.

spacer.png

I wondered were you post was going to start but I guess your an xplane lover but I do agree on certain points you make.

I think what you say in regard to Microsoft is spot on they have completely lost there way and looking at how they wish to proceed eg tablet/phones and the joke that will be the next xbox could well do some really serious damage to Microsoft's future.

But must disagree about FSX I don't know if it's a slight bit of envy regarding Pmdg releasing their 777 but for me if everything stopped tomorrow my system is such that with all my addon's and win7 operating system I have all that I want and don't really need anything else.

So i'm not bothered about new developers of FS platforms

The fact that Pmdg haven't added any aircraft to the xplane platform yet would suggest one of two things to me,that either they don't think it's ready yet or that there have not been enough units sold to make it worth their while

Pete Little

Hi,

PMDG made the decision not to support P3D and it's their decision to make. It will be a shame not having an opportunity to utilize accurately dipicted aircraft developed by PMDG in the future. I've enjoied PMDG's products for many years, but i'm not going back to FSX. I've tried Xplane10, but I just don't like it. P3D (with all my addons) is my only option/choice for my simming needs.

Thanks for the run PMDG, but future platform development outweighs any "FSX ONLY" addon from "ANY" developer. It was great while it lasted, but its time to move on. I know my wife is going to be happy, I just saved $90.00.. Now she'll want me to take her to dinner.  :lol:

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

First of all let me say I'm happy for those FSXer's in our community who've finally gotten their long awaited release. What this brings to mind is where things are really at with this ever small nitch market we have. There's very real reasons why many of us use other sims and not FSX. For X-Plane users many would rather not deal with Microsoft in any way (very understandable). Linux based OS's and continued ongoing support is where their at. P3D for some is the alternative to a dead platform the developer (Microsoft) is no longer supporting/developing. FS9er's for the most part is purely economic in nature. Many of us at this time can't upgrade to what we really need to make FSX shine. Other options like Aerofly FS, Flight, and Flight Gear many use in conjunction with the main options I listed. For the sake of discussion the main sims most enthusiast use in our community is FS9, FSX, X-Plane, and Prepare 3D. What are the percentages of these various groups and is it right to cater to one group forsaking the rest of the community?

Here's the problem, just like FS9 for years there's some major/extraordinary development going on for FSX with a sketchy future as to how long it will be able to be used with future hardware/software. I could understand developing like this for P3D or X-Plane but FSX is really starting to shock me. Already we are hearing word that FSX doesn't do well if at all with Windows 8.1, on PMDG's website Windows 8 support is not even guaranteed, and no other base platform is even offered as an option (P3D, X-Plane, etc). Now it's obvious why other platforms aren't considered because of development resources but FSX's days is numbered.

People across our community will truly have to stick with Windows 7 for the distant (double that 2x's) future. Microsoft is going Tablet/Phone if they decide to continue under idiot Ballmers plan forsaking everything. Screw SQL, Server, .NET, Desktop PC's for business use, all out the window (pun intended). They need to catch that phone market my any means necessary (they even bought Nokia). They have development tools still in 32bit while their OS's have long since been 64bit. The company is in flux as to their identity just like they had an identity crisis as to what Flight Simulator actually was and who it should be marketed to. Very dangerous they can't figure out who they are yet their software controls so much of the business/government world. Just like with Windows 8 and what happened with us in the sim arena the world will realize it's a fools errand to put so much stock into a companies products forsaking all others. The governments of the world will most likely step in and help Microsoft find it's way before they screw up so much of what the world in operating on. It's not just FSX but like FSX the world in general feels they need to stay with what works like Windows 7 and their server solutions but how long will this be viable? This brings me back to my point, seeing we are dealing with a company in psychosis why put much stock into their products. FSX is done in Microsoft's eyes and after Windows 8.1 most likely won't run again on any future OS from Microsoft. The elephant in the room is X-Plane will and if P3D hangs on so will it. Why is such a major developer like PMDG devoting such effort on a stellar product like the 777 for a dead platform like FSX? At this stage of the game we should be forward looking as to what's truly going to be around years down the road. Yes we can keep Windows 7 on our desktops and snuggle with FSX for years but by that time Lockheed will have made major strides with P3D, X-Plane will be that much farther along working in Windows 10, and with Ballmer gone Flight Simulator might make a come back with a future version (you never know). Bottom line is XPlane and P3D are the current standard we have in this community that's actively being developed. It's shocking to think how far along XPlane would be now if at word from Microsoft Aces was disbanded this community rallied around XPlane. P3D is up in the air but that platform now can handle this 777 built mainly for FSX. Dual sim support should at least be considered for P3D (FS9 is a lost argument)...

Last but not least is the gloating and exclusion. We are now a much smaller community than we once were. Some people actually believe the sim world revolves around FSX and our communities size should be judged by PMDG sales (I found that funny to say the least)... It is too bad in 2013 we are not all on one sim like the glory days of FS9. It's even worse knowing so much is going into a platform that will never take advantage of newer technologies coming down the pipe with future hardware and software. For those with Linux and XPlane there is a future, those using P3D there is hope, but for those with FSX get the most you can out of Windows 7 and in time the world will pass you by as you say has happened with those still using FS9. Not to sound like sour grapes but Windows 8.1 is less than two months away and it's shaping up to be the first Microsoft OS FSX won't run on. Lockheed will make sure P3D will run on Windows 8.1, 9, 10, or anything in the future taking advantage of all future DX versions if Lockheed continues with P3D. XPlane beats that even more because it will run on Windows, Linux, and OSX versions far into the future as long as Austin is still alive or someone else takes the helm at Laminar Research. It's amazing both in personal decisions or developer consideration, in any other scenario most of us would take the option with the longest shelf life.

Why do we need to go to the newest OS I still have 7 and will never upgrade it does everything great.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Why do we need to go to the newest OS I still have 7 and will never upgrade it does everything great.

I still run 3.1 I love reinstalling those 3.5 floppies