Sign in to follow this  
flyamilehigh

g3d.dll Crash With FSUIPC4

Hello all! I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me with this crash. 

I recently had a new PC built specifically for FSX use. I installed FSX, Acceleration, and a few addons normally. I also had my fsx.cfg file tweaked using Bojote's tweaker tool. I had a little trouble getting through airliner flights initially but it seemed to get sorted out. I had a good 2 weeks or so where I would fly at leaset once a day and never got a CTD until recently. After researching (googling) the fault name, I came across a "workaround" in FSUIPC4. I installed it, ran a couple flights and it seemed to work until about a week ago. On a flight from KJFK (FSDT) in fair weather I got one during preflight, then restarted and was able to complete the flight to KFLL (FSDT). I then started a flight to TJSJ, where it crashed during preflight. This is where I began to log the crashes. Tried again, and was able to make the flight to TJSJ, but I then crashed on very short final (about 10 ft above the runway). I then lowered some graphics setting (autogen from extreme to dense) and tried the same flight the next day no problem, but then leaving TJSJ for KMIA, I crashed on preflight. Then fsx wouldn't even open to the menu, and would sometimes crash when choosing aircraft, or weather. Got it to load at KMIA (default) and yet another crash. To troubleshoot, I tried updating my Nvidia drivers, re-installing FSUIPC4, re-installing FSUIPC4 as admin, and rebuilding a new fsx.cfg, I'm not sure what else could be causing this. All CTDs were gd3.dll fault. Please help, I miss my happy flights, and I really would love for this great sim to work. 

My PC Specs:

Windows 7 64

Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5 GHz (No O/C)

Geforce 760

6 MB RAM

My Add-ons:

PMDG NGX (all flights above were done in this aircraft)

FSDT: KLAS, KORD, KJFK, KFLL, GSX (not used in some crashes)

ImagineSim: KDEN, TJSJ

LatinVFR: KSAN

REX 2.0 (updated)

UTX USA

GEX North America

Ultimate Traffic 2 (80% Airline Traffic, 0% General Aviation)

Crash Log:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61637.0

Application Timestamp: 46fadb14

Fault Module Name: g3d.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.61637.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 46fadb58

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00042911

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Exception Offset: 000754d1

Exception Offset: 000754d1

Exception Offset: 0003b636

Exception Offset: 0005c5cf

Attached is a copy of my fsx.cfg 

Please let me know if there is any other info that will be needed from me. Thanks in advance for your time, have a good day.

From my understanding, if the fault cannot be trapped by the FSUIPC4.dll utility, then fsx is having issues with finding the object(s) and rendering them quickly enough for fsx resulting in a crash.  High settings or bad tweaks in your Fsx.cfg or display driver settings and it will just make it more difficult for fsx to call up the object in time.  A bad setting in the BIOS could probably cause the crash too, especially if the memory settings are not correct (frequency, timings, and voltages).  If you look at your situation and understand that when you first installed fsx/acceleration and ran it, you did not get a g3d.dll error.  Then you started installing addons and tweaking your fsx.cfg and tweaked your display driver settings too.  For your system, get rid of all of your tweaks (I have the same system).  You don't need them.  You have a very powerful machine.  Tweaks are for those who have less powerful systems.  NickN, a well-know computer guru who also developed the software GEX, has a similar system as mine.  You should follow his advice (and mine) in tweaking and setting up your system.  Here's a link to his guide - http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html.  Okay, that's done.  You also need to check out how he set up and overclocked his i7 4770K system - http://www.simforums.com/forums/gtx-780-settings-discussion-haswell-revealed_topic46112_page1.html.  So, first thing.  Delete your fsx.cfg, restart fsx and let the config rebuild.  Okay, now change the settings as he suggests.  I don't use his BufferPool settings.  I just don't believe in BufferPools in fast systems.  My only tweaks are changing the LOD_Radius to 6.5, changing the Texture_Max_Load to 2048 (HD) and changing the Texture_Bandwidth_Multi to 120.  Of course, I also have the highmemfix=1 fix (not a tweak) in the Graphics section.  My NI settings are as he suggested and they work well so far.  I have employed DX10 Preview and the settings still work great.

Now Go Fly.

One of the areas that gets a lot of g3d errors is the Orbx/FTX PNW area around Seattle.  The FSUIPC utility fixes this problem.  Most likely you have problems with your addon scenery with missing objects or corrupted objects.  You can try to determine which addon is doing you the most grief by disabling them all (especially the ones where you were just flying around).  If the error goes away, then you have found the scenery with the problem.  Then you need to go to the developer and find out why you are getting these crashes over his/her scenery.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10