Sign in to follow this  
re84uk

Approach/Scenery Misalignment

Hi

I have just completed two flights to two completely different destinations and on both occasions the ILS approach was completely misaligned with the runways.  These approaches should be aligned with the runways (I have checked the charts) and I have never had any problems before until today.  Its as though my scenery or approaches have completely misaligned overnight :(.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Download and install MakeRunways - http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.  And, if you have the program already, then run it again.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Download and install MakeRunways - http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.%C2'>

Jim,

I read the brief program description at the link you provided and after doing so have no idea how it works.  Does it run parallel to FSX and make some conversion on the fly?  I have not downloaded it yet and prefer to know more before I do.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I cannot add anything to what the description shows.  It does read all of the AFCADS of all the scenery you own though.  Some developers do not place the scenery in the location of the default.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So it doesn't fix anything, just dumps the data to .csv files?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

That's what I suspect.  It probably will not fix your problem.  Not sure if the software program you are using reads .csv files.  Just a suggestion.  You did not indicate where you are having your issues, what aircraft you were flying, etc.  I do know for instance, there is a problem with 25L at KLAS whereas FSDT and PMDG NAV data does not match.  There's also that magnetic variation thing that is talked about in the PMDG General forum. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I have never had any problems before until today.

RE48UK,

I have had this happen occasionally.  And I say occasionally.  For instance early last week I completed a flight into KBMG (Bloomington, Indiana, USA) via RNAV 35 approach.  It was in the Carenado PA46T.  Alignment for the approach was accurate.  Then yesterday I flew from a different departure into the same KBMG approach and when I broke through at about 1,200 AGL I was well left of the centerline on the approach.  I had this same thing happen on the same approach several months ago in a different addon aircraft, but I fly there often and the misalignments appear to be seldom and random.  I believe I also had the same thing happen on one of two approaches last week to KGSH (Goshen, Indiana).  

I am going to try two different tests to see if they make any difference in the future. I routinely go into the FSX scenery library and select and deselect scenery addons to limit current selection to the area I am flying.  I start FSX, then make those changes, then fly.  So one change to my methods will be to make my changes in selections in the scenery library, then quit FSX before I fly, then restart FSX.  Just based on a hunch.  That hunch is based on the fact that the only change I made from the good instance to the bad was change in the scenery library selections.  The second action I will take will be to select and load a default FSX aircraft, then change back to the aircraft I want to fly.  There are a number of issues that it appears can be remedied by doing this.

One additional hunch is that I am using an updated nav database for Garmin/RXP GPS's and the location of the updated nav points does not align with FSX.  Both of the airports I mentioned above are FSX default airports.   But the fact that one approach is nicely aligned and another is not is then baffling. 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

There are some sceneries that had misalligned ILS's in FSX default (where they should be alligned with the runways in real world). One of these was YSSY 16L which flew you to a nice bit of grass to the right of the runway!

Other addons may do this too.

One big one that seems to hit my system at random every couple of months is the registry problem. Some addon aircraft (not all) will then start to behave like there is a 0° magnetic variation, so you will see the aircraft try to track (magnetic variation degrees) to the left or right of track, and then when they are just about to correct to the centreline, correct back to "offset" again.

Flight1 Registry repair will fix that.

There may be other problems that cause this effect, and it's a bit hard to say which it is without going through a bit of an elimination process.

I have this problem while trying to land my 737 NGX at Imaginesim KLGA RW 13. I contacted Imaginsim, who suggested multiple AFCADS are likely to blame. Unfortunately, they did not give me any further advice on how to resolve it.

rob

Do a file search for "KLGA" in your FSX scenery folders. From there, it's a simple (I'm being slightly sarcastic) matter of going through every file it finds with a finetooth comb to see if there are 2 afcad type files for KLGA in different folders (ie one in FSX/Addon Scenery/Imaginesim and another one in FSX/Scenery or similar).

Sorry I can't help much more because I'm not entirely familiar with that kind of thing either.

Missing in the recent part of this discussion is the recognition that both the OP and this member have variance between one approach and another into the same approach at the same airport.

Same approach, same airport, approaches on different days, differences in alignment.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

It is very strange. I shall implement the suggested changes, do some more testing and report back.

a file search for "KLGA" in your FSX scenery folders. From there, it's a simple

You are absolutely correct.  AI programs like MyTrafficX have AFCAD's for almost every airport in the world so the AI can take off/land based on their assigned flightplans.  The developer recommends that this AI program be placed just above Propeller Objects in your Scenery Library.  That's where I have mine. 

Not sure if my earlier recommendation for MakeRunways program will work in this instance but it does help programs like Radar Contact and ProATC and you must download and run this program if you are using Radar Contract and/or ProATC.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

It is very strange. I shall implement the suggested changes, do some more testing and report back.

Any results yet? Just following up.

Frank Patton
ASUS