Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

FTX Vector 1.1 released!

Major rebuild of ftx vector is released. Available to download on flightsimstore for free for current 1.0 users.

But beware - from opinions posted on orbx forums I can see that the elevations corrections seem to work with mesh product installed, pilots as a best choice.

There is also tool to disable aec for particular airports.

List of control panel features:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74827-vector-11-control-panel-pics-of-options/

To be honest I have not tested it yet because I need to go to work but will inform you afternoon when I get back.

Thanks Orbx! Hope it was worth to wait :)

So they bowed to customer opinion and made it configurable ? That's good news.

I think I'll wait for opinions and some screenshots before jumping in and installing.  I bought v1.0 but didn't install after the negative feedback.

Patience .....

- aec for all airports can be enabled or disabled (for each of them) so you can actually make it fit default elevation data or addon ones but also it should be fsglobal compatible. FSX uses the first elevation data It can find no matter what scenery order is. Thats why the AEC approach and it can be enabled or disabled where there are any issues. Configuration tool is there and lets you switch off features you dot like. Also road width should look better now. I am getting home in some time and will be installing it and checking out. Seems they found a workaround to make mesh owners satisfied and same with people who do not own the mesh.

This is going to be a long process just like Ultimate Terrain was to fix all the small errors. But times a thousands because unlike UT, Vector covers the world.

Even with 1.1 there are already many bug reports.  I understand that these will be fixed in time, but I won't be buying until they at least get good quality data for North America.

I just saw a post from a Pilot's developer that version 1.2 will have "completely new lakes / rivers / coastlines for US & Canada (we use new data sources for these areas)".

In my opinion, the developers made a mistake in trying to do vector scenery for the entire world in a single product.  They should have divided the world up into at least 4 quadrants and tackled each one individually.  They could have also followed ORBX's model and made individual products for each of the 7 openLC areas.  They've simply taken on too much.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

A step in the right direction. If they can figure out a way to allow it to play nicely with existing products like UTX I'll buy it. If not, I won't. I'd love a solution for the rest of the world but I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater, especially as Orbx products have a tendency to rather tactlessly (and non-transparently) mess with the inner workings of FSX like a bull in a China shop. I suspect I'm not alone...

James

First of all I don't think they have taken too much. The quantity of issues with 1.1 is much lower than in 1.0 so it is a BIG step in right direction. Lot of people are still confused about how they should use the AEC configurator and it seems that with proper scenery.cfg order and settings inside Vector some issues can be easily fixed. 

Offcourse - noone said that 1.1 will be solution to every single problem as this is what you said - it's a global product. 

@Honanhal - I don't see what you mean. FTX Vector has exactly same features as UTX except for basic landclass which UTX deliveres, so UTX should only be used for LC until OpenLC is released. 

In the end - noone has to buy it. But there are loads of happy people over on orbx forums who use the features of vector without issues. I have to admit - I am not flying in Nepal or not using GA airports in any mountainous terrain. For GA flights I just bought AU SP4 which seems to work flawlessly in my case. Global coverage is for airliners flying and those work out for me nicely. 

And about a bull in a China shop - hey, FTX Global enhanced the textures and I don't see even one reason to remove it so why even bother after you bought it. I use some ORBX airports, I use their Vector and also a region. But TBH don't see my FSX as broken. Performance is not lost but game looks way better - what else would I want :) 

Anyway - I understand that some people may not like ORBX approach to different things and you know what? That is fine. Isn't it great we all have a choice? :) 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

To be clear: I'm not some sort of Orbx basher--I own several hundred dollars' worth of their products, including FTX Global. However, I also own UTX products and openVFR products, and the fact that, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong!) Vector will cause a lot of problems with those products is enough reason for me to hold off. I would love to be able to use Vector in areas where I don't already have a landclass and vector solution, and not use it where I don't. John Venema has made it clear that's never going to happen, which is his prerogative--and a real shame for me, because I do a lot of flying in Asia and Africa and they could desperately use better vector data.

Remember when FTX England was released and it was impossible to complete a cross-channel flight because the landclass for the rest of Europe was a complete mess when ENG was enabled? Orbx's initial line was that of course it had to be that way, and what's the big deal?--you can always reload the flight midway after disabling ENG. Well, I'm certainly very happy that they changed their tune a few months later. I'm still hoping that might be the case with Vector--this control panel is certainly a step in that direction--but time will tell.

James

Even with 1.1 there are already many bug reports.  I understand that these will be fixed in time, but I won't be buying until they at least get good quality data for North America.

I just saw a post from a Pilot's developer that version 1.2 will have "completely new lakes / rivers / coastlines for US & Canada (we use new data sources for these areas)".

In my opinion, the developers made a mistake in trying to do vector scenery for the entire world in a single product.  They should have divided the world up into at least 4 quadrants and tackled each one individually.  They could have also followed ORBX's model and made individual products for each of the 7 openLC areas.  They've simply taken on too much.

Dave

I'm afraid I have to agree!

Just look at the numerous posts over at ORBX regarding all the numerous AP elevation issues everywhere... Doesn't FSX have something Like 48,000 AP's? How's Vector going to fix elevations at every FSX AP?

Chris Camp

I don't know how well do you read the topics over on orbx forums:

1. Downloaded non default afcads

2. Lack of understanding of AEC

3. Expecting landclass issues to be fixed even though vector is not a landclass software

These are 3 main reasons currently for most of 1.1 problems and TBH most of them have an answer : "hey I don't have this problem but let's find a solution".

JV policy against complaining customers is definitely harsh but I try not to think about JV but about a product.

AEC should now cover all airports. So yes, I guess it's manageable. I am happy that lot of people disagree and have a different POV because it can open interesting discussion.

I am not happy that out of 10 disagreeing one speaks up.

UTX took lot of time to and did not give global coverage. Did it even cover elevation fixes with any quality mesh addon?

Just a little update for struggling users - if you have an addon mesh than the rule is quite simple and helped most of people work it out - default FSX airports (not changed by user or by scenery) - aec should be on. For the rest - off.

A step in the right direction. If they can figure out a way to allow it to play nicely with existing products like UTX I'll buy it. If not, I won't. I'd love a solution for the rest of the world but I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater, especially as Orbx products have a tendency to rather tactlessly (and non-transparently) mess with the inner workings of FSX like a bull in a China shop. I suspect I'm not alone...

James

Have to agree with this.  Unless you can use vector with UTX and other products (eg Aerosoft) with minimal issues then I won't be buying.  While I would welcome a vector product for the areas UTX and Orbx regions don't cover I don't wont an inferior outcome for those areas UTX covers.  I only got FTX Global after considerable hesitation as I already had GEX for NA and Europe and I am yet to be convinced it was 90 AUD well spent.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."