Sign in to follow this  
gjp

'random' Switch Setup In Cold And Start

Hi all

Maybe this has been spoken of before?????

I'm finding that once I load the NGX in Cold and Start, I tend to 'ignore' checking all switch positions. I only concentrate on those which seem necessary to get the plane in the air.  I take this shortcut because I know and am 'confident' that not all switch positions need to be checked as they are always in the same position.

In real life, I suspect that any switch/dial/lock out/etc, could be left in any position.

To 'force' you to check all switches, wouldn't it be great if a 'random switch position' setup could be optioned. Maybe this 'random' feature could be added in the Failures menu??

if you really did have to check everything, I believe that this would provide further interest and importantly also keep skills honed.

Any thoughts?

GaryP

Just my two cents...but once you have the flows internalised, you should get from a cold and dark to ready for pushback & start in 15-20min. IMHO thats one of the reasons that brings us to buying complex aircraft such as the NGX...to simulate realism :)

Hi Gip, you can do that, if you like, by flipping switches around at random, and then by saving that panel state. Although, i do not think switches are left like that after a full day, for example, I do not thing you would find the fuel pump switches, or the hydraulic pumps, or the APU bleed air switch in a random position, at the start of a new day, left like that form the previous crew. So,if you disconnect the APU, you close its bleed air switch, if you shut the engines, likely you'll flip the fuel pump switches off, it's logical. Anyway, another thing you could do is shutting the engines after a flight, flipping some switches around and then saving that panel state, that way on the next flight you'll know some of those switches won't be in their correct position, and it will be your duty to double check everything, 

Enrico

Coming across switches that are "out of order" is quite rare in reality.

In some airlines, depending on the switch, it might even get you some tea without biscuits at your DFO's office.

No really "random", but I proposed and i'm using this in this thread :

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420590-airplane-persistence-on-the-777/

Exiting with CONTROL+C and having panel state to 'PREVIOUS STATE' put the switches in the position you left your previous flight. Better thant nothing and enougth to have to do more checkings when entering cockpit.

Guillaume

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

Some good work arounds shown above!

I remember going to an air-show once and being on the flight deck of some 'large' american jet.  The kids were encouraged, under supervision  (amazing really), to flick switches and have a good 'play'.  I remember thinking, I wouldn't like to be on the first flight, in case something had been overlooked......

I wonder how many of ngx pilots actually go through the full pre-start checklist every time, or do you (like me) often take shortcuts knowing 'all' switches are in the normal/usual position??

GaryP

How about saving your flights and loading them instead of loading the cold and dark panel state? That way the switches are as you left them on previous shutdown.

I opened a thread about this some time ago.

My solution is to save several panel states and call them "random1" "random2" "random3" etc...

Next time you go flying you pick one of the several panels and you probably won't remember which had which switch positions. That will force you to do the flows.

How about saving your flights and loading them instead of loading the cold and dark panel state? That way the switches are as you left them on previous shutdown.

Agreed. My panels aren't saved from a "cold & dark" situation, but from a "getting into the plane after a previous crew having flown it".

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I opened a thread about this some time ago.

My solution is to save several panel states and call them "random1" "random2" "random3" etc...

Next time you go flying you pick one of the several panels and you probably won't remember which had which switch positions. That will force you to do the flows.

Agreed. My panels aren't saved from a "cold & dark" situation, but from a "getting into the plane after a previous crew having flown it".

It drills you to shut down properly too :)