Sign in to follow this  
pierrep02

Fsx, how to install-bad drive.

Hi. Been long time since I post here or use simulator for that matter.

I miss my beloved fsx and had to remove when I formatted computer.

After several months, I now am able to get back to where I left off. However, I have run into

big problem: The drive where I do my installs, has decided to stop working.

I tried everything. So is there another way to do the install? I know it will probally be 

suggest to get external drive, but I wanted to see first.

I'm running windows vista and the computer has plenty of power to handle my flight simming.

Thank you kindly.

Hi tamar,

I don't know what you mean when you say "The drive where I do my installs, has decided to stop working".  Is this a disc drive from which you load the program or a hard drive to which you install the program?

If you're referring to a disc drive, there's a problem with various software programs that cause problems with the way is FSX is formatted on the discs.  If this is the case FSX tries to load but there is much disk "chattering" and extremely slow loading and sometimes reported errors.  MS recommends deleting the offending software but I discovered that the FSX discs can be copied to the hard drive with the computer in Safe mode and then installed from the hard drive in normal mode without problems.

Jim F.

You do not have to install on an external HDD. In fact, it is best on the drive with Windows. The only suggestion some have made is to make sure you do not install it in its default location (Program Files (x86)) and install it in a directory like C:\FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10