Sign in to follow this  
Piper9t3

Majestic Q400 and Opus stutters

Hello

I have updated Opus to Version 3.50 and running the latest P3Dv2.3 with Track IR5. I have been experiencing a jumpy/stuttering sim with the Q400 lately and not sure what may be causing the problem until I came across a thread in the Majestic forum :

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/450108-q400-pv3d-and-opusfsx/#entry3063338

It turns out for me too that when I don't run Opus I have a smooth, stable sim in the Q400. Never recalled having this problem with any other aircraft and Opus but there is definitely something out of sync between the Opus weather engine and the Q400 in P3Dv2.3. Is there any suggestions or workarounds to resolve this issue?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Go through your TrackIR5 set up again. This sounds like the usual TrackIR + Opus both attempting to control the eye point. Hence, TrackIR is connecting direct to the simulator.

After any upgrade you must check all your Opus Configure and Weather dialog settings again.

Make sure your TrackIR option is enabled and your TrackIR is still set up correctly, manifest files renamed etc.

Remember any update to TrackIR can result in new manifest files being created, once again causing stutters.

So to recap this is nothing to do with the weather engine, but simply the DHM turbulence moving the eye point whilst your TrackIR is also directly moving the eye point ... hence conflict and chaos.

The Bump Aircraft DHM option can also cause problems in which case you have to reduce the Bump Aircraft DOF setting and/or increase the BA Delay Factor. Worst case, just disable the Bump Aircraft DHM option for that aircraft's views.

Stephen :-)

Hi Stephen

I checked my Track IR settings, renamed the two simconnect files and checked Opus configuration settings and it all appears good.  I don't recall having this issue with previous version of P3dv2.2.  After a full install to P3Dv2.3, I updated to Opus 3.50 and installed the Q400.  Since these updates, I have been getting a jumpy/stuttering out of sync sim which is not present when Opus is disabled.  

John Pipilas

Let;s give this a try: a suggestion from Jazz:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/450108-q400-pv3d-and-opusfsx/#entry3063338

You will have to disable the DHM, and turbulence/bump feature of Opus to get rid of the stutters. The weather engine alone works just fine with the Q400 in P3Dv2.3.

Thanks Jazz. Will definitely try this out!

Mario Di Lauro

As mentioned above, try disabling or adjusting your DHM and Bump Aircraft settings. You can disable DHM via the addon menu if you wish. Do you have any software that is attempting to alter the eye point .. if so there will be conflict. If using TrackIR, does TIR + Opus work OK with other aircraft selected ... in other words is your TIR set up to actually work correctly interfacing with Opus and not the sim. Does it register OpusFSX in its own window showing that it has connected to the FSXTRACKIR program. Also try setting TIR High Priority in the Opus Config dialog.

Make sure you diagnose the problem and rule out DHM or Bump Aircraft though. If DHM then you must determine why. What other software or addon is in conflict and trying to alter the eye point.

Stephen

I have no other software to alter the eye point.  I will have to experiment with the DHM and Bump Aircraft settings and see if that is causing the problem.  Is there a basic checklist you can provide to ensure TIR is correctly interfacing with Opus and not the sim?

I seem to be having this problem only with the Q400.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact the Q400 flight dynamics are designed to work outside of the sim.  There is even a control panel to enable/disable the FDE to FSX sync.  As I run unlimited frames, I have set this to disable as recommended in the Q400 manual.  

John Pipilas

Firstly, double check to make sure the Q400 aircraft sim does NOT include any feature that alters the eye point, for example, to indicate vibrations etc..

Next, it is easy to see if there is a DHM conflict, just disable DHM using the Opus Addon menu.

Finally, TIR should be easy to check, just load up a different aircraft (the default C172 for instance) and make sure your TIR works with DHM enabled whilst taxiing up and down the runway. Of course, if TIR is connecting via OpusFSX then it will indicate this as the game interface type in its window, also you can open our FSXTRACKIR program and see that TIR has connected.

You will most likely have to disable DHMs Bump Aircraft with the Q400, it just cannot cope with the aircraft not flying on rails or behaving as expected.

Firstly, double check to make sure the Q400 aircraft sim does NOT include any feature that alters the eye point, for example, to indicate vibrations etc..

Next, it is easy to see if there is a DHM conflict, just disable DHM using the Opus Addon menu.

Finally, TIR should be easy to check, just load up a different aircraft (the default C172 for instance) and make sure your TIR works with DHM enabled whilst taxiing up and down the runway. Of course, if TIR is connecting via OpusFSX then it will indicate this as the game interface type in its window, also you can open our FSXTRACKIR program and see that TIR has connected.

You will most likely have to disable DHMs Bump Aircraft with the Q400, it just cannot cope with the aircraft not flying on rails or behaving as expected.

Thanks Stephen - for me (I have no TrackIR), disabling the DHM setting did the trick. I can finally use Q400 and Opus together!

Mario Di Lauro

You should have a look at simply disabling the Bump Aircraft option within the DHM dialog as for most users it will be this option that is causing the Q400 problems. The Q400 just doesn't like the aircraft not doing exactly what it is commanded to do, which of cause is what aircraft turbulence is all about.

So you may be able to still use DHM, just with its Bump Aircraft option turned off.

You should have a look at simply disabling the Bump Aircraft option within the DHM dialog as for most users it will be this option that is causing the Q400 problems. The Q400 just doesn't like the aircraft not doing exactly what it is commanded to do, which of cause is what aircraft turbulence is all about.

So you may be able to still use DHM, just with its Bump Aircraft option turned off.

EXCELLENT!!! Will try that!

Mario Di Lauro