Sign in to follow this  
Zombiescu

FTX Global users that had GEX+UTX? Any difference for the price?

What i am asking is if anyone switched from gex+utx to get ftx global, Did you see a significant difference? 

I cannot decide because i want to fly mostly in Canada and probably America also in GA aircraft for low scenic flights so is FTX Global worth the money to get? Does it look nice in america and Canada? if anyone has some screenshots with ftx global or regions could you post them here to help me decide and give me your thoughts on performance. Also if anyone knows some small GA airfields that ORBX has for free or to purchase could you let me know thank you. 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

When I was still using FSX, I had GEX+UTX.  I switched from GEX to FTX Global, but kept UTX installed (FTX Global Vector was missing quite a few lakes and rivers in the US).  I then added the FTX lights for UTX roads tool so that I could get the FTX street light objects along UTX roads.  There is an FTX Global Lights Configurator Tool to control the size and color of the light objects, which works very well.  I was quite please with this setup.  In my opinion, the FTX Global textures were better than GEX, and the amount of tree autogen objects were much higher than GEX (forests looked more like forests, instead of scattered trees).  The only area which I think that GEX does a better job is the Southwest US deserts.

I'm now using FTX Global with Prepar3D v2.3 and will add FTX Global Vector once version 1.2 is released (which will use much improved data for the US and Canada).  I cannot give you screenshots of FSX with FTX Global since I no longer have FSX installed.  If you search the internet, you can find screenshots.

Gerald

What i am asking is if anyone switched from gex+utx to get ftx global, Did you see a significant difference? 

I cannot decide because i want to fly mostly in Canada and probably America also in GA aircraft for low scenic flights so is FTX Global worth the money to get? Does it look nice in america and Canada? if anyone has some screenshots with ftx global or regions could you post them here to help me decide and give me your thoughts on performance. Also if anyone knows some small GA airfields that ORBX has for free or to purchase could you let me know thank you. 

IMO, I would say wait until they release OpenLC North America.  Then it will be worth it.

I'm a previous GEX/UTX user that finally bought into all the hype with Global and when I first got it, I was not overall impressed.  It's good, don't get me wrong.  Better than default textures.  But, it wasn't anything spectacular like you see a lot of people say.  So, Global by itself would not be worth it to me.  I think GEX/UTX for NA would suit you better.

Now, having said that, if you do plan to get the OpenLC stuff(only Europe released so far), then I'd say having Global is definitely worth it.  I have OpenLC for Europe and am absolutely loving it.  I highly recommend that combination.  I'm still using UTX for vector stuff like the previous poster mentioned as well.

The thing that makes this combo worth it is the fact that with the Global textures and OpenLC combined, Orbx is able to call upon many more textures sets to create a very believable variety and coverage that seems appropriate for the area your flying over.  One of the big downfalls of all land class products is the repetitive textures that you usually see due to a limited number of texture sets they can call upon.  With Global and OpenLC, one has to really try to find repeating textures, even at altitude.

That's my take.  If you're planning to go the OpenLC route, get it.  If not, then I wouldn't unless you start flying in areas of the world that aren't covered by GEX.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

For me the issue was one of cost.  I only had GEX Canada/USA. It was less expensive to go with FTX Global than purchase the  other GEX regions. 

I am still using UTX USA rather than FTX Vector, because at this time I feel it offers more features (e.g. secondary roads, etc.).

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Maybe it's better if you see by yourself? You can send me some locations and I can send you back screenshots. I have FS Global 2010 + FTX Vector, Global & OpenLC.

I had GEX+UTX when I was using FSX.

When I switched to P3D I had to give up on this.

In my opinion:

• FTX Global has better textures than GEX
  • UTX has more rich DB than FTX Vector at the moment (secondary roads etc.) however, bigger roads look much better in Vector - they have more vertex, they don't have fixed widths - so even wider areas on highways where entry gates are located are included
  • OpenLC is good, however you need to spend quite a lot $$$ to get to the point where you can use it compared to UTX+GEX
  • Night lightining in UTX over cities looked better to me
  • Support from ORBX is slow. I have made ONE request for missing island near my home town and I have no answer to this. Even on PMs.

ORBX is claiming that they will support all the packages during following years, so if they keep their promise then someday I hope I could wrote that "yeah, FTX is totally worth it".

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1