Sign in to follow this  
Humberside

P3D

confirm my suspicions that I'll have to buy the 777-200/300 and eventually the 737 and JS41 again. (I have them for FSX already)

Correct. Separate platform, separate use, separate license.

From the thread you linked to:

LICENSE CONVERSION/DUAL USE:

============================

Customers who own a license to use a PMDG product on a platform other than P3D will not be able to convert the non-P3D license for use on P3D.  PMDG licensing is issued on a per-platform and per-product basis and this is not anticipated to change with the addition of new simulation platforms to the marketplace.

We are currently evaluating offering promotional pricing for users who wish to change platforms, but the details of this offer are still being evaluated and the program will be offered for a very limited period of time.

A promotional price may be offered for those with existing licenses, but it is still being evaluated.

As I've always said here, Prepar3D is not an FSX replacement like a lot of the community thinks it is. Prepar3D is essentially Microsoft ESP, which was targeted at a different audience (it's used in flight simulators that people can legally log time in) and it really wasn't meant for the simmer community at all. Whether it is appropriate for certain members of the community is a different story, but the fact remains that P3D isn't an FSX replacement - it's been a supplement the whole time.

Kyle Rodgers

Everything you need to know is located here: http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

Take a look at the last row in the table on that website. It tells you all you need to know. There isn't single P3D version targeted towards the hobbyist, since Lockheed Martin does not have the power to grant that license. That part of the license was sold to Dovetail games.

Shame, PMDG's stuff will be the only add-ons I will have to re-buy for P3D. Having recently switched to P3D though, I'm certain it's going to be worth it. I'm having a hard time going back to FSX right now. The only thing forcing me back is the fact that the 737 and 777 are there! Can't wait for the P3D version!

Ian Chenel

Hi Kyle, please can you point me to the Lockheed Martin article that confirms what you're saying here -  I seem to have missed it.

Hi Dennis. The link you're looking for (as Thomas posted) is here: http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

Last row. Like I said, though, whether it is appropriate for certain members of the community is a different story and that's up to you to make that determination. Still, the idea in the community that P3D is the future of FSX is misguided. P3D is the future of ESP.

Kyle Rodgers

Okay, I guess that I'm not a "hobbyist", whatever that is. This thread is dangerously close to becoming a EULA discussion.

Many thanks Thomas/Kyle for the link - very enlightening.

I am assuming from this that the impending release of the PMDG 777 on P3D is definitely aimed at student pilots involved in training, instruction and learning and therefore excluded from members of the general public, such as myself, who were contemplating purchasing for their own entertainment?

Pity, as I would definitely have been a purchaser otherwise. As it is, I suspect that LM employ rather more expensive lawyers than I can afford and will therefore have to give it a miss.

Best regards,

Dennis

Okay, I guess that I'm not a "hobbyist", whatever that is. This thread is dangerously close to becoming a EULA discussion.

Yes, it is dangerously teetering on that edge, which is why I'm continuously noting that "whether it is appropriate for certain members of the community is a different story and that's up to you to make that determination." It's not my place to make the call for you, or anyone else, but there exists proper use and improper use.

There's a huge difference between pointing out that there is a potential issue and letting someone make their own determination, and providing specific guidance as to their specific case and the legal issues surrounding it. Everyone has to make their own determination as to whether their use is covered on the chart, but everyone should be aware that there are appropriate uses and inappropriate uses.

My main goal, though, is to simply dispel the community idea that P3D is the new FSX. It's not. P3D is the new ESP. The only reason so many simmers found out about it was that the mainstream FSX dropped off while ESP continued under a different and new name, which made it appear like it was the next new Flight Sim. Not quite...

I am assuming from this that the impending release of the PMDG 777 on P3D is definitely aimed at student pilots involved in training, instruction and learning and therefore excluded from members of the general public, such as myself, who were contemplating purchasing for their own entertainment?

I'd wait and see what RSR posts as the product comes available. It might be a little clearer then.

Kyle Rodgers

It smells like EULA, taste like EULA and there was really NO need to bring the EULA into the OP's question ... if you stay the course to the OP's original question then I think this thread can avoid being removed.

Joe,

PMDG will have to make modifications to their products in order for them to work correctly in P3D.  Those modifications take time and money and there are license issues with various vendors they use to make PMDG products.  All these things require time and money investment on PMDG's part ... in order to recover that investment of time and money they will charge for a P3D version ... as I understand it existing FSX customers will get some type of reduction in cost for a short period of time.

PMDG news changes frequently, so it's best to monitor new information from PMDG.

Cheers, Rob.

I thought I remembered in a post that their might be a reduction in price for the P3D version, based on that I bought the FSX version and FTCM to learn about the 777....I also bought  P3D as will be switching full time to P3D.  I do hope it is the case epically for the recently owned FSX version.

percy lee

Stealing this thread a bit. All is talking about price if they already have FSX version. How is it in the other way around? If I buy P3D version, can I use it for free in FSX also?

Stealing this thread a bit. All is talking about price if they already have FSX version. How is it in the other way around? If I buy P3D version, can I use it for free in FSX also?

PMDG has stated that each sim will be treated as a separate platform, thus requiring a separate license.

It makes sense, P3D is an evolving sim which will require devs to keep up with the new sim. This costs money which must be recouped somehow.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."