Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

How much runway needed for the JS4100

I purchased the scenery add on "Switzerland Professional" and I intend to do a lot of flights in this country

because the scenery is so nice. Unfortunately there are many airports with short runways and not suitable for

a PMDG-737.

Therefore I intend to buy the PMDG Turboprop JS4000 hoping less runway length ( 1000 to 15000 meters )

could be used.

Short question: how much rwy does the JS4000 need for take off and landing ?

Sincerely

H.Werni

Herbert Werni

Ch 3 pg 6 Limitations:  Maximum pressure altitude for landing or takeoff is 8000 ft. Other than the V speeds on the speedcards that's all the performance data we have for takeoff.  Of course, performance is dependent (in FSX) on density altitude, wind and weight so there's not a simple answer.  Also, you want to include a stop distance in the event of an aborted takeoff at V1.

If she is light she will get off the ground in quite a short distance. I suggest you put her on a test runway at altitude and give her a try... accelerate to V1-5kts and abort.  If you stop with runway ahead then you are good to go for that weight/temperature.

Dan Downs KCRP

Operations from 1200m (4000ft) runways

Just to chime in here if/for a pre-purchase. Just be ready to leave your 737 behind. :)

The J4 is great and gives the feeling of real (outside of GA) aviation.

I have several other paywares but nothing is close. The big boys with the fancy FMCs and click to fly will seem boring after you spend time to learn to properly fly the J4.

I have added about every known addon to it: FsCrew, Reality Wx Radar, 3D lights.

It is great for short hops and you get to fly low enough to see that new scenery you bought - with flight levels around 16000 and 20000.

Rob Hollis

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

As a general guide you can use the numbers below. I only fly the JS41 and have found these to be good indicator.

Runway take-off = 1523 m

Runway Landing = 1280 m

Happy flying.

Mark Duff

Any idea what sort of weights those figures are based off, Mark?

I've seen 1200m (4000 ft) mentioned in BAe literature, but I think Take-Off Distance Required (TODR) could be as much as 1500m (5000 ft) at MTOW.

Edit: On page 59 of my link there's actually a graph of TODR vs TOW for a 2000 ft AMSL airfield.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

If that take off distance of 1523m is for an aircraft full of passengers and luggage, then the relevant distance with an empty aircraft will be considerably less. That being the case, short "positional" hops would still allow you to operate from airports with shorter runways.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Below are the performance graphs for takeoff, range and engine rating. I believe PMDG modelled the 1650 SHP TPE331 engines.

j41performance.gif

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

(...)

I have added about every known addon to it: FsCrew, Reality Wx Radar, 3D lights.

It is great for short hops and you get to fly low enough to see that new scenery you bought - with flight levels around 16000 and 20000.

(...)

I would add a decent weather engine to that list: Active Sky Next generates impressive up- and downdraughts over Switzerland's mountainous terrain and at typical flight levels you fly through(!) pretty realistic weather (clouds, rain, hail, turbulence and stuff).

The spot in the VC for the weather radar can feature any gauge you would like to add: ASN's XGauge for example, or a TAWS gauge to help you avoiding the mountains ...   B)

Even when I give it my email address it still wants my credit card details. I think I'll give this one a miss!

SkipperMac

Bryn has said he's not developing his ASN radar gauge any further and people should use this Roland Herblot's instead: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459050-another-radar-gauge-for-vc-window-usage/?p=3164774

It's available free in the Avsim file library as rolasnradar-v08.zip and you'll need Microsoft's VC++ 2013 x86 runtime if you don't already have it.

support1.jpg

Hi Ckyliu,

My take off and landing distances are based on minimum length for maximum weights. I use the figures I quoted above as my minimums when planning a flight most of the time.

If weights are lower then take off or landing distances will be shorter. With the JS41, landing is all about speed and altitude on approach, the real challenge is where the glide scope is steeper than normal.

At maximum weight or thereabouts I can get into EGLC (London City) even with the 6 degree descent, and LOWI (Innsbruck - rwy 08) is no problem, but I can't seem to get into LSZA (Lugano). Maybe it's me, but I just cannot master that airport. I wonder if JS41's ever flew into and out of Lugano?

Mark