Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

FSNavigator causing BSOD in FS9

I have never had any problem with FSNav before, but I am running FS9 on a Dell M1730 laptop (for use while I am working abroad - my main FS rig is back home), Win XP x64, and am getting BSODs (from time to time) when I activate it with the F9 key.

Much of the time FSNav opens fine, but on other occasions, I can tell something is amiss: the sim stutters as soon as I open the FSNav map, and there are clicking noises through the speakers. If I close FSNav, all is OK. If I leave it open, the laptop invariably crashes to a blue screen.

Today, pressing F9 to start FSNav immediately produced a BSOD: "IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal". Error FFFFF80001027684. I understand this is a driver problem, but how is that connected to FSNavigator. I don't have the software setup here to reinstall, though if that might help, I can always download it I suppose - I have my reg key here.

I let the blue screen continue 'Dumping physical memory to Disk' till it reached 100, and I have retrieved the crash dump files. I'm not an expert in interpreting the data, however. I don't know what 'drivers' could be at fault, if this is a driver issue.

I don't think we can upload files to threads here now, right? I can upload the crash dump files to an external site if necessary.. should anyone who understands them better than I do agree to have a look!

Thanks,

Martin

You need to download and run BlueScreenView as that provides more information - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html . In the lower section of the bluescreenview, it will list drivers that are the culprits for causing your crash. You are correct, it is a driver issue.

I would also download and run a freeware update program. I use Driver Genius but there's a totally free driver update program - http://www.iobit.com/iobit2015.php that will scan your system for out of date usb, HDD, system bus, CPU, etc., drivers and download and install them for free. The only bad thing is that the downloads are slower unless you purchase a license, usually around $20 a year.

You could also have a problem with a piece of hardware too.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, I'll have a look at the links you have given.

I already have a programme called 'Who Crashed', which is supposed to make things easier, but only marginally in practice..

I already have a programme called 'Who Crashed', which is supposed to make things easier, but only marginally in practice..

I don't think that program will pick up BSOD's. The BlueScreenViewer is the best program for diagnosing BSOD's.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It looks as if the crash is due to nv4_mini.sys.  I have had crashes due to nVidia drivers before - I'll check to see if I can update it.

Thanks again

I used the programme at iobit to update drivers - though they all seemed to relate to my network card, so that probably won't help in FS9. Still, good to have the latest drivers anyway!

Yes, keeping your system up-to-date is the best prescription for keeping your system healthy and fs9 running.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM