Sign in to follow this  
rlashier

Scenery.cfg File error in Scenery Area.144

I recently installed the ORBX FTX PNW regional scenery to my FSX/Acceleration system.  I used the FTX Central software to activate PNW, and downloaded several of the free airport sceneries provided by ORBX for this product.  Now, however, when I first start FSX, I receive this error message:

SCENERY.CFG File error.  Local Scenery Directory (ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY) in Scenery Area.144 not found.  Click OK to continue.

Clicking on OK, FSX starts, and the scenery, including FTX PNW seems to run fine.  But the error message is irritating to say the least.

Is there a fix for this?   An explanation for one who is not steeped in working with scenery files and libraries would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich 

Is there a fix for this? An explanation for one who is not steeped in working with scenery files and libraries would be much appreciated!

This happens when you disabled Scenery Area.144 via the Scenery Library or the SceneryConfigEditor. Orbx/FTX sceneries can only be removed via FTX Central. You can try going to FTX Central and enabling (or selecting default) the scenery and then do the vice-versa procedure.

If you do not have the utility SceneryConfigEditor, you should go on the Internet and download it and install it. When you start up SceneryConfigEditor, it will show you errors in your scenery.cfg and provide the opportunity to delete the area. However, you should never ever disable or delete FTX/Orbx scenery via the Scenery Library or SceneryConfigEditor. Only via FTX Central.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, here's where things stand.  Following Jim's tip, I went into FTX Central, enabled the default FSX scenery, started FSX, no error.  Closed FSX.  Went back into FTX Central, enabled PNW scenery, restarted FSX, and the same error noting the Scenery.cfg file error concerning area 144 reappears.  Just to clarify, I did not attempt to disable any scenery areas via the Scenery Library, and I have never used SecneryConfigEditor.  I simply installed the FTX PNW scenery using the ORBX installer, and the installation that resulted from running their installer left my system in a state where this error appears on starting FSX with PNW enabled in FTX Central.

Is there anything else I can try to correct this?  Should I uninstall everything related to ORBX and reinstall, or is there a more surgical fix?

Thanks again,

Rich

Well, here's where things stand.  Following Jim's tip, I went into FTX Central, enabled the default FSX scenery, started FSX, no error.  Closed FSX.  Went back into FTX Central, enabled PNW scenery, restarted FSX, and the same error noting the Scenery.cfg file error concerning area 144 reappears.  Just to clarify, I did not attempt to disable any scenery areas via the Scenery Library, and I have never used SecneryConfigEditor.  I simply installed the FTX PNW scenery using the ORBX installer, and the installation that resulted from running their installer left my system in a state where this error appears on starting FSX with PNW enabled in FTX Central.

Is there anything else I can try to correct this?  Should I uninstall everything related to ORBX and reinstall, or is there a more surgical fix?

Thanks again,

Rich

Not to hijack this thread, but it's not just you. I could use your posts above word for word, except switch my scenery number to 180. I too did nothing but install it.

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Have you installed the latest Orbx object libraries?

Look in ...\FSX\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY

Does the folder exist? Are there any .bgl files in it?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I could use your posts above word for word, except switch my scenery number to 180. I too did nothing but install it.

and the same error noting the Scenery.cfg file error concerning area 144 reappears

You should delete/rebuild your facilities/scenery indexes and shader folders. See the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 5. I'm not sure that will eliminate those errors but it might. If not, I would open up the scenery.cfg or SceneryConfigEditor and look for area 144 to see what was located at 144. The SceneryConfigEditor does a pretty good job of rearranging the areas/layers so they are in sequence. Scenery.cfg/SceneryConfigEditor does NOT remove scenery entries when you uninstall a product and the only way to do it is to go to the Scenery Library and delete the scenery area you uninstalled.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The update for anyone experiencing this issue is that the problem is solved.  N60JBravo (Joe) hit the nail on the head.  The updated ORBX Libraries (the latest dated Feb. 2015) resolved the problem;  after installing this library update, the error vanished.

Thanks to all those who provided advice, and a virtual pat on the back to Joe for the solution.

Rich

Well, I just got a new computer and so a fresh install of everything a couple weeks ago so I do think I installed the latest library. However I am away from home until Friday, so I will double check when I get back. I think though that in any case, can I DL and install it again over top without having to delete anything? No harm in trying is there.

can I DL and install it again over top without having to delete anything?

Yes, works with no problems.

In fact, anytime you install any Orbx products the last step should always be to install the latest libraries, even if they have not changed since the last time you installed them.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Yes I did have the latest library installed. Also with the new FTX Central  2, I installed it today and noticed I still needed SP-4 for CRM, so I installed that and then the new updated library. Did a restart and fired up FSX to see I still get the scenery 180 error.

Not sure what's going on but I think I'm just going to live with it. FSX runs fine and I don't want to chance something getting screwed up. Computers do not like me. Most of what firehawk44 said is like a foreign language to me. 

I still get the scenery 180 error.

What else does the error say?

The error message gives you the info to fix the problem.

The message tells you what Scenery Library entry is messed up.

Write down the full message, open the Scenery Library and un-check the matching entry and restart the sim.

If you still have problems post back exactly everything the error message says.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif