Sign in to follow this  
6FingerSays

A guide to CTD and why they happen

With hundrens, and if not thousands of users posting topics here in the CTD forum every month about crash to desktop errors, I have decided to compile a list, and guide on the most common CTD errors, and why they happen.

Even though I became a member back in 2011, I have been reading this forum for quite awhile, and taking note of a-lot of crash to desktop errors, and have been learning about them ever since!

WIth all of us trying every day to improve FSX, I hope this topic will help new-comers understand why FSX is giving them crashes.

So, LETS BEGIN!

So let's picture you have been flying your favorite route in FSX for hours now, and you decide you want to view the exterior of the airplane. You press the button to switch views, and BAM! Your FSX freezes with a loading icon.

Your FSX quits, usually with an error. Now, the most important thing to do, is not to panic. I know you just wanted to finish that flight, but what we have to do now is find the cause of the error, so we can make sure it won't happen again!

With every event, problem, message, update etc, the Windows operating system records and logs every error that happens on your system. Pretty cool huh?

There are several ways you can access this information, one gives you more basic information. You can view your log by going to:

Start > Right click on computer > Select "manage". Now a window program will pop up. On the left column, choose "Event Viewer". Than select "Application", and select, and view the crash.

A more efficient way to view your crashes are through a program called "AppcrashView". This program views the events in way more detail, giving you every single dll that was loaded up until your crash.

AppCrashView can be downloaded here: http://www.nirsoft.n...crash_view.html

With that being said, lets get in with the trouble shooting!

In each crash report, the information that is most important to troubleshoot are:

Fault Module Name and

Exception Code

Fault Module Name is the self explanatory. This is the DLL that was loaded before the Application crashed. 90% of crashes can be identifyed and solved with these.

Exception Code basically gives us a big clue on why it happened. For example, and exception of 0x0000005, means FSX had a MEMORY_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Which means FSX crashed because FSX was seaching for a file, and could not find it.

So, without further adeu!

Most common DLL crashes --------------------------------

NTDLL.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005 (Learn more about NTDLL.DLL here: http://en.wikipedia....files#Ntdll.dll

A very common crash, NTDLL is most commonly associated with a memory problem. FSX was most likely trying to call a texture, or file and could not find it, so FSX crashed.

FIX: While there is no immidiate fix of NTDLL.DLL crash, if you have FSX + Sp1 and Sp2 installed, occaisionally uninstalling Sp2 and re-installing fixes this problem.

If you have overclocked your system, a big problem can be a wrong setting in your frequency, timings, or voltages. A overheating system can be a big cause as well. Turning down FSX sliders can solve this issue.

UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

Take a look at your error log. Does the log point the DLL location to your main FSX folder? Most commonly yes, this means you have installed and dropped the vista version of "Uitautomationcore" in your main FSX folder. This is causing FSX to crash.

FIX: Remove "Uiautomationcore.dll from your Main FSX folder. IF the log points the location to your System32 and Wow64 directories, than do the fix suggested for fixing NTDLL.DLL.

API.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005 (Learn more about windows API http://en.wikipedia....iki/Windows_API)

Api.dll crashes can be hard to detect and identify, but users have reported API.DLL crashes after tweaking, or changing around with files in the CFG. Once again exception code 0x0000005 means FSX was calling for something, and could not find it, so FSX crashed.

Users have also reported API.DLL crashes with Ai programs such as FS Traffic.

FIX: While there is no sure API.DLL crash fix, go into your FSX.CFG directory, and delete your FSX.CFG, and let FSX build a knew config file. If API.DLL crashes continue, a clean install, or repair function of FSX might be needed.

Checking with additional addon programs such as ai traffic is nessecary as well.

StackHash_3a98- Most commonly paired with Exception Code c0000374

The StackHash error happens any time DEP is found that there is an issue with the program run. While Stackhash CTD errors have been reported for various reasons, stackhash is very difficult to pinpoint.

FIX: While there is no immidiate solution to the stackhash CTD error, one might find help with following this topic, started by Firehawk44: http://forum.avsim.n...d-possible-fix/

Another solutions users have reported a solution by following the steps provided here: http://www.flyaga.in...ation-appcrash/

TERRAIN.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

Terrain.DLL CTD usually has two main causes. First, and most common; FSX sliders are way too high. You are using too many system recources for your system to handle, and it is crashing. The second cause is a faulty installation of a scenery. Because of the exception code, (0x000005), FSX is calling for a texture or scenery item, and cannot find it.

FIX: Turn your sliders down. Sliders such as autogen density and traffic. Users also have seen fixes to terrain.dll crashes by lowering their texture size from 4096.

In addition to that, check for newly installed sceneries, and re-install them again.

G3D.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

G3d.dll is the three-dimensional portion of the graphics engine used in Flight Simulator. It contains the BGL interpreter for Flight Simulator. Because of the exception code, (0x000005), FSX is calling for a texture or scenery item, and cannot find it, so FSX is crashing. Users have most often reported G3D.DLL errors while around ORBX areas.

FIX: Luckily, Pete Dawson has provided a solution to G3D.DLL crashes. Because so many addons are dependent on Fsupic, the newest version (Above 4.858) provides a fix for g3d.dll crashes when installed. Although a registered version of FSUIPIC is not required for the G3D.dll crash, one will benefit greatly from purchasing. Current versions of FSUIPC can be found here" http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

If you are still getting G3D.dll crashes, it is most likely a corrupt installation of a scenery or aircraft, and a simple re-install usually provides a solution.

MSVCR80.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x000000d

MSVCR80.DLL is part of the Miscrosoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistrabutable package, and crashes from MSVCR80.DLL usually means there is an error in the installation. Others have reported crashes with this DLL with certain aircraft, such as the Airbus X extended.

FIX: Re-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Security update can fix the problem. Regarding the topic here, support.microsoft.com/kb/2538242

If you are experiencing the MSVCR80.DLL crash with a specific addon, contact the developer for the specific addon because the issue lies in the Visual C of the addon.

MSVCR100.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x000000d, or 0xc0000417

The MSVCR100.DLL is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistrabutable package. Because this was release in June of 2011, the MSVCR100.DLL is not caused by FSX itself. Most likely, a additional addon is causing the problem.

FIX: Check for any newly installed addons, and re-install them

D3D9.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

D3D9.DLL is part of Direct X 9, and part of Microsoft Direct 3D. Most commonly, D3D9.DLL CTD are caused by an installation of ENB SERIES. Most ENB series is incompatiable for FSX, however some have reported no crashes with FSX and ENG.

FIX: If you are having G3D9.DLL crashes, and you have ENB installed, your only option is to remove that current installation of enb. You must remove ALL of the files, including g3d9.dll, and the config.ini file.

Also check to see if your graphics card drivers are up to date. You can never go wrong with updating your drivers.

ATC.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005 (Read more about ATC.DLL here: http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/atc)

The atc.dll module is used as one of the GUI based modules responsible for handling in-game layout and dialogue correspondence with the main game function calls, within the Microsoft Flight simulator software. (Source http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/atc)

FIX: ATC.DLL have been reported due to an unstable overclock. Overheading while playing FSX can cause this issue. Look into the settings and core temperatures in your bios to make sure it's stable. If the crash is occurring in complex scenery areas, try turning down your FSX settings to put less stress on your system.

------------------------

So there you go! I hope I helped protential users in the future fix crash to desktops.

-Firehawk44, or any other admin, feel free to edit, change, or add anything you feel is incorrect, or anything that needs to be added.

Good Luck!

Amazing guide, I love it it's a really good guide very helpful for new users

Hey Summer - for my part 100% of my CTD's are caused by too low of a core voltage on my overclock. .005 volts can be the difference between a happy and sad flight :) Cheers jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Very good Scarlett. :Applause: Hopefully it will help many here with their own basic troubleshooting. :smile:

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Solid Scarlett .. quick point ... a short cut for the "event viewer" is: "windows key + X"

Regarding UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL- if you remove it from FSX folder, where should you move it to?

Thanks for setting up a good overview for the new users in that forum section.

I'm having trouble with the uiautomationcore.dll tip though. :mellow:

this means you have installed and dropped the vista version of "Uitautomationcore" in your main FSX folder. This is causing FSX to crash.

I beg to differ. That Vista dll actually solves crashes on Win7 and Win8 systems.

After installing FSX, there won't be any uiautomationcore.dll. On that we do agree. So if there was any uiautomationcore.dll in the FSX folder, somebody (user or installer) must have placed it there. Still in agreement.

Now the problem with the actual dll for FSX is that it looks up the one of the OS, uses it and.. tends to crash on e.g. repeated menu access or the 2D panel usage. With placing a Vista dll in the FSX folder, FSX will use that one instead of the OS one from e.g. Win7 or Win8. By this, you actually solve the crash issue.

The advantage of placing the dll in the FSX folder also is that only FSX uses that old version. All other programs, which happely make use of your default Win7 or Win8 uiautomationcore.dll, don't receive any influence. That's a pro. Replacing the OS version would cause other programs to develop problems.

So there's a two step tip. Firstly, avoid replacing or modifying the OS uiautomationcore.dll in the system folders. That dll isn't the problem, FSX is.

Secondly, if you would like to force FSX to use another uiautomationcore.dll, use the Vista one and just place it in the FSX folder. That one will now have priority for FSX and may well solve the problem on the mentioned crashes.

This tip only applies to Win7 and Win8 as it seems. Older OS versions feature files FSX can handle. Later ones may not. FSX is an old fart. ^_^

I beg to differ. That Vista dll actually solves crashes on Win7 and Win8 systems.

I beg to differ. The Vista uiautomationcore.dll solves some menu type crashes and that's it (and I'm having a hard time believing that statement too!). Did you see a nearby post where the individual said he put the Vista uiautomationcore.dll into his main fsx folder and STILL received menu crashes? Most individuals who have FSX installed do not install this Vista dll. FSX was built for the Vista OS (which is now closely related to the Windows 7 system). I have tried several times to replicate this crash and I cannot so I don't have the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder and have never seen a CTD (other than the infamous G3d crash). Just throwing an old Vista version of a .dll into the fsx folder is dangerous. The dll belongs to Windows.net framework and it one of its functions is to manage memory for FSX programs and addons. Windows.net was never installed on Vista systems. It had to be installed by a program. Only when Windows 7 came out was dotnet installed automatically with the OS. Not seen in previous versions. FSX/Acceleration installs a version of dotnet and one should have Versions 1.1 through 4.5 installed on their Windows 7 or Windows 8 system (look in Windows/Windows.net/Framework/). There should be one for 64 bit installs too if you have a 64 bit OS (it is not used for any FSX programs though). What I have seen regarding the uiautomationcore.dll is that the ones who have it have FS9 and earlier programs installed. FSCoPilot is one many have installed. FSInn another. These old programs were upgraded to be compatible with FSX. Maybe the developers did not use dotnet in the development of their product (not speaking just of FSCoPilot and FSInn. Those were just examples). Another issue is the dll.xml. A little corruption there could result in menu crashes and I have seen a lot of corruptions with this dll, especially from developers upgrading their products to FSX compatibility. Maybe a FSX addon program did not install properly. We will never ever know but I do know that adding this old uiautomationcore.dll is required to solve crashes on Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems (because FSX is incompatible with these OS's???) is wrong. The 'experts' who came up with this goofy idea that the uiautomationcore.dll fixes menu crashes needs to study this issue a bit more. I include this myth with the fact that someone came up with a hack for the d3d9.dll that was successful in many other games but not successful for everyone in FSX. It caused all kinds of havic and still does!

Link in support of CoolIP aaproach:

http://answers.micro...e9-fbd4b3232a54

There is nothing in that link you provided that tells me Microsoft is aware of this problem and suggests this fix. In fact they do not. It was just an individual who posted a crash report with uiautomationcore.dll as the faulting module.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, you yourself posted this one. And it helped! http://forum.avsim.n...t/#entry2530020

So, from the end of November to now, either the knowledge on the uiautomationcore.dll got changed 180 degrees or.. we are talking cross-purposes. :mellow: To add to the issue, if I remove my uiautomationcore.dll in the FSX folder I receive the menu crashes, yes.

I have the Vista file on my Win764 OS to be used just by FSX.

That dll helped a lot of folks with menu crashes. The ones without them don't write in here. ^_^ We may agree on that. By this, it's a fix to a problem. If one doesn't receive the problem, the fix isn't necessary. Guess we agree on that one too.

I have tried several times to replicate this crash and I cannot so I don't have the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder and have never seen a CTD (other than the infamous G3d crash).

I'd say that the g3d.dll one could well be the outcome. My log never showed the uiautomationcore.dll but g3d.dll or something else when I don't apply the uiautomationcore.dll fix.

As someone else stated, the log doesn't point to the culprit by design but to the weakest part of the chain, so to speak. The last module being unable to comply with the errors caused by other sources. I can be the cause but doesn't have to be. Tricky.

I don't receive any random crashes in FSX. So even the g3d.dll isn't a regular since Pete D. fixed the last remaining source with FSUIPC.

But, good ideas on expanding the guide Scarlett has set up. Indeed, I could think of the dll.xml, Dotnet components and the VB stuff when it comes to addons of all kind.

Every item regularly appearing in support forums or around Avsim could be worth a note.

Jim, you yourself posted this one. And it helped! http://forum.avsim.n...t/#entry2530020

I've made that recommendation several times. It has fixed the problem for some and not for others. Not saying it does not work but there's another outlying issue that causes this problem. Lets say the person gets a menu crash. He has to shut down FSX, look for that uiautomationcore.dll from Vista days, places it in his fsx folder, and it's a miracle! It works when really what probably happened was the shutting down of fsx and then restarting it thus freeing up virtual or system memory. That's all I can say. I don't use it and I have never gotten that crash and I have tried alt-enter, alt-tab, hit the menu 20 or 30 times and nothing. No crash. I feel cheated.....

Do you have any old FS9 programs installed that were upgraded to FSX? I'm trying to figure out why many do not have this crash and many, like you, have it all of the time. I can't figure out any other reason than you have an older FS9 made compatible for FSX installed. I have none. Everything is pure FSX (except for MegaScenery SoCal). All aircraft is pure FSX. Since the uiautomationcore.dll is used by developers to manage memory for their product runs properly, maybe an old FS9 developer didn't use dotnet or even use it when they upgraded their product to FSX. I also do not have my FSX or display driver settings set to the max.

I will still recommend the uiautomationcore.dll be placed in the main fsx folder and just did a couple of posts ago. It's managing memory for FSX so maybe that works.

(Redskins just about finished slaughtering Dallas). Got to go and get ready for golf tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Sounds much better on the wording, Jim. Referring to this one which made me :blink: .

The 'experts' who came up with this goofy idea that the uiautomationcore.dll fixes menu crashes needs to study this issue a bit more.

But I have to apologize for asking stupid things (again). Now, in the next post, you say.

I will still recommend the uiautomationcore.dll be placed in the main fsx folder and just did a couple of posts ago. It's managing memory for FSX so maybe that works.

I'm reading your statements as ones contradicting each other. :mellow: Can you help me understanding them?

From your viewpoint, does the dll do good or harm if a FSX user receives the menu crashes in Win7 and 8? I'm voting good, as explained in my post and perhaps from the numerous users already using it.

Do you have any old FS9 programs installed that were upgraded to FSX?

I saw folks receiving the menu crashes on a fresh FSX installation on Win7 and 8. That uiautomationcore.dll fix then helped. So I don't relate the ability to do so to any FS9 components being present. Well, apart from those shipping with FSX itself.

But maybe it gets more severe with old stuff around. You may have a point there.

But maybe it gets more severe with old stuff around. You may have a point there.

Hi CoolP,

I agree I am contradictory but I'm trying to come up with a reason why it works for some (admittedly) and doesn't for others and many do not need the dll in their main fsx directory. It seems Microsoft Technet forums have come up with a solution - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/fc7dedc8-69b4-4e01-90b7-f12e759d5e7c as recent as 23 Dec. It involves renaming or deleting the Windows 7 uiautomationcore.dll from the system folders after taking ownership.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Anyways, thanks Scarlett for your effort. It is a resource that gathers all the pertinent "culprits" and a link to this thread will join my collection of links to places like FSDeveloper, pages filled with concepts and ideas on how to get my FSX running the way I intend.

And the ongoing discussion between two respected simmers serves if only to provide more insight into uiautomationcore.dll and the use of dynamic link libraries in general.

Rick Keller

With hundrens, and if not thousands of users posting topics here in the CTD forum every month about crash to desktop errors, I have decided to compile a list, and guide on the most common CTD errors, and why they happen.

Even though I became a member back in 2011, I have been reading this forum for quite awhile, and taking note of a-lot of crash to desktop errors, and have been learning about them ever since!

WIth all of us trying every day to improve FSX, I hope this topic will help new-comers understand why FSX is giving them crashes.

So, LETS BEGIN!

So let's picture you have been flying your favorite route in FSX for hours now, and you decide you want to view the exterior of the airplane. You press the button to switch views, and BAM! Your FSX freezes with a loading icon.

Your FSX quits, usually with an error. Now, the most important thing to do, is not to panic. I know you just wanted to finish that flight, but what we have to do now is find the cause of the error, so we can make sure it won't happen again!

With every event, problem, message, update etc, the Windows operating system records and logs every error that happens on your system. Pretty cool huh?

There are several ways you can access this information, one gives you more basic information. You can view your log by going to:

Start > Right click on computer > Select "manage". Now a window program will pop up. On the left column, choose "Event Viewer". Than select "Application", and select, and view the crash.

A more efficient way to view your crashes are through a program called "AppcrashView". This program views the events in way more detail, giving you every single dll that was loaded up until your crash.

AppCrashView can be downloaded here: http://www.nirsoft.n...crash_view.html

With that being said, lets get in with the trouble shooting!

In each crash report, the information that is most important to troubleshoot are:

Fault Module Name and

Exception Code

Fault Module Name is the self explanatory. This is the DLL that was loaded before the Application crashed. 90% of crashes can be identifyed and solved with these.

Exception Code basically gives us a big clue on why it happened. For example, and exception of 0x0000005, means FSX had a MEMORY_ACCESS_VIOLATION. Which means FSX crashed because FSX was seaching for a file, and could not find it.

So, without further adeu!

Most common DLL crashes --------------------------------

NTDLL.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005 (Learn more about NTDLL.DLL here: http://en.wikipedia....files#Ntdll.dll

A very common crash, NTDLL is most commonly associated with a memory problem. FSX was most likely trying to call a texture, or file and could not find it, so FSX crashed.

FIX: While there is no immidiate fix of NTDLL.DLL crash, if you have FSX + Sp1 and Sp2 installed, occaisionally uninstalling Sp2 and re-installing fixes this problem.

If you have overclocked your system, a big problem can be a wrong setting in your frequency, timings, or voltages. A overheating system can be a big cause as well. Turning down FSX sliders can solve this issue.

UIAUTOMATIONCORE.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

Take a look at your error log. Does the log point the DLL location to your main FSX folder? Most commonly yes, this means you have installed and dropped the vista version of "Uitautomationcore" in your main FSX folder. This is causing FSX to crash.

FIX: Remove "Uiautomationcore.dll from your Main FSX folder. IF the log points the location to your System32 and Wow64 directories, than do the fix suggested for fixing NTDLL.DLL.

API.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005 (Learn more about windows API http://en.wikipedia....iki/Windows_API)

Api.dll crashes can be hard to detect and identify, but users have reported API.DLL crashes after tweaking, or changing around with files in the CFG. Once again exception code 0x0000005 means FSX was calling for something, and could not find it, so FSX crashed.

Users have also reported API.DLL crashes with Ai programs such as FS Traffic.

FIX: While there is no sure API.DLL crash fix, go into your FSX.CFG directory, and delete your FSX.CFG, and let FSX build a knew config file. If API.DLL crashes continue, a clean install, or repair function of FSX might be needed.

Checking with additional addon programs such as ai traffic is nessecary as well.

StackHash_3a98- Most commonly paired with Exception Code c0000374

The StackHash error happens any time DEP is found that there is an issue with the program run. While Stackhash CTD errors have been reported for various reasons, stackhash is very difficult to pinpoint.

FIX: While there is no immidiate solution to the stackhash CTD error, one might find help with following this topic, started by Firehawk44: http://forum.avsim.n...d-possible-fix/

Another solutions users have reported a solution by following the steps provided here: http://www.flyaga.in...ation-appcrash/

TERRAIN.DLL-Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

Terrain.DLL CTD usually has two main causes. First, and most common; FSX sliders are way too high. You are using too many system recources for your system to handle, and it is crashing. The second cause is a faulty installation of a scenery. Because of the exception code, (0x000005), FSX is calling for a texture or scenery item, and cannot find it.

FIX: Turn your sliders down. Sliders such as autogen density and traffic. Users also have seen fixes to terrain.dll crashes by lowering their texture size from 4096.

In addition to that, check for newly installed sceneries, and re-install them again.

G3D.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

G3d.dll is the three-dimensional portion of the graphics engine used in Flight Simulator. It contains the BGL interpreter for Flight Simulator. Because of the exception code, (0x000005), FSX is calling for a texture or scenery item, and cannot find it, so FSX is crashing. Users have most often reported G3D.DLL errors while around ORBX areas.

FIX: Luckily, Pete Dawson has provided a solution to G3D.DLL crashes. Because so many addons are dependent on Fsupic, the newest version (Above 4.858) provides a fix for g3d.dll crashes when installed. Although a registered version of FSUIPIC is not required for the G3D.dll crash, one will benefit greatly from purchasing. Current versions of FSUIPC can be found here" http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

If you are still getting G3D.dll crashes, it is most likely a corrupt installation of a scenery or aircraft, and a simple re-install usually provides a solution.

MSVCR80.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x000000d

MSVCR80.DLL is part of the Miscrosoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistrabutable package, and crashes from MSVCR80.DLL usually means there is an error in the installation. Others have reported crashes with this DLL with certain aircraft, such as the Airbus X extended.

FIX: Re-install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Security update can fix the problem. Regarding the topic here, support.microsoft.com/kb/2538242

If you are experiencing the MSVCR80.DLL crash with a specific addon, contact the developer for the specific addon because the issue lies in the Visual C of the addon.

MSVCR100.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x000000d, or 0xc0000417

The MSVCR100.DLL is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistrabutable package. Because this was release in June of 2011, the MSVCR100.DLL is not caused by FSX itself. Most likely, a additional addon is causing the problem.

FIX: Check for any newly installed addons, and re-install them

D3D9.DLL- Most commonly paired with Exception Code 0x0000005

D3D9.DLL is part of Direct X 9, and part of Microsoft Direct 3D. Most commonly, D3D9.DLL CTD are caused by an installation of ENB SERIES. Most ENB series is incompatiable for FSX, however some have reported no crashes with FSX and ENG.

FIX: If you are having G3D9.DLL crashes, and you have ENB installed, your only option is to remove that current installation of enb. You must remove ALL of the files, including g3d9.dll, and the config.ini file.

Also check to see if your graphics card drivers are up to date. You can never go wrong with updating your drivers.

------------------------

So there you go! I hope I helped protential users in the future fix crash to desktops.

-Firehawk44, or any other admin, feel free to edit, change, or add anything you feel is incorrect, or anything that needs to be added.

Good Luck!

I'm surprised atc.dll isn't on the list. That's my problem. My system will work fine for months and then regularly start atc.dll CTD's.

Dan Cole

I'm surprised atc.dll isn't on the list. That's my problem. My system will work fine for months and then regularly start atc.dll CTD's.

Hm.. I will probably add it to the list. Since ATC.DLL has nothing to do with ai traffic in FSX, the solution to ATC.DLL would most likely be about the same as the fix for NTDLL.DLL.

Where exactly do you encouter this CTD?

You might also benefit from this link http://dll.paretolog.../detail.php/atc

--EDIT.

ATC.DLL added! Thanks!